Barrel Aged Batch 1000 | Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery

Added by Mistofminn on 10-20-2009

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Ratebeer winter gathering care of JW77.

A: Pours an orangish hue with a nice tall white head. Okay retention with some lace.

S: Aromas of sweet yet acidic tropical fruit. Lightly woody with hints of caramel.

T: Very sweet tropical fruit. Hints of bitter acidic citrus as well. The wood is there along with hints of spice and candy sweetness.

M: On the fuller side of medium in body, bold, rich.

D: Not the most drinkable but pretty unique.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Review # 420 (smoke em if ya got em)

Growler received in a trade with mistonminn thanks for the hopportunity to try this brew released at the Town Hall Barrel Aged Week Release!

Appearance: Pours an extremely murky dirty golden with a 2 finger off white crown that shows good retention and some lace. Would score it higher if the body wasn't so murky.

Smell: Hop dominant---some slightly citrusy hops but some floral ones as well. Tiny slightly toasted barrel notes add to the complexity. Wine notes become more pronounced as the glass warms.

Taste: I enjoy the interplay between the hops and the wine barrel myself. The hops make the first appearance but the fruity wine acidity fills my senses after I swallow until the hops regain control in the finish. A hint of alcohol presence at most.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Fairly drinkable.

Didn't wow me but I like it and am glad I got to try it!

2.98/5  rDev -27.1%

Some experimnets work, and some, like this beer, crash and burn. Appears like any other DIPA, hazy orange with a small head. Smells both sweet and bitter. The malt and wine gives off sweet aromas countered by the large amount of hops that obviously went into this beer. Alcohol is also detected. First sip was interesting and I wondered what I got into here. But the bitter wine flavor is not something I would call appealling. I do not pick up much flavor from the hops but all the bitterness is very much in play. The 10oz pour was more than enough of this beer and found it difficult to finish. Even hours later I stilled had this bitter wine aftertaste in my mouth. You may like it, but I did not.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into goblet.

Pours 1/2 finger of beige head. Decent retention with some nice lace. Color is a hazed burnt orange.

Aroma: sweet malts and grapes. Very interesting ipa. Subtle oak notes. Huge citrus blend. Floral hops, but faded a bit. Very nice

Taste: wine notes a mashed grape flavors. It blends well with all the grapefruit citrus flavors. Big pine flavors. Lots of hops. Some oak.

Mouthfeel: bitter but creamy. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends sticky and typical for the style.

Overall, a very interestig take on a dipa. Good and unique. The grapes complement the citrus well. Very bitter. Fairly drinkable.

My liver is very grateful that Town Hall is all the way across town, because the barrel-aged week going on right now would have left my butt on a bar stool every night.

Ordered a glass during a very late lunch with my wife after a vigorous morning of ice fishing. Arrives light orange, & the smell is sweet & dry, with scarcely a hint of hops.

Barrel Aged Batch 1000 is a strange duck. My palate immediately started questioning what I was doing to it: "Wine & hops? Weird. I don't get it. Unfamiliar. Another sip for diagnostic purposes, please." The hops are very subdued, almost dirty, & have been dried virtually beyond recognition by age & the influence of the barrel. Wine comes hot on the heels of the wounded hops & creates a unique, & odd, pairing. The wood dries out the whole creation & makes me reach for more. The combination is a wholly bizarre experience for me, & one that I was questioning right through the last sip.

Very, very good brew. I'd love to have this again someday, or something like it, because the wine/hop mix was so interesting.

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This got released one hour after the Anniversary Ale 2009, so naturally I had to stick around.

Served in a 10 oz goblet, this is Batch 1000 aged in "Oak Honey Wine Barrels."

Color is a beautiful golden orange, with little to no head. Nice carbonation. Leaves a spot of lacing here and there, but nothing special. The score I gave this is based purely on the beautiful color.

The nose is very wine like, believe it or not. There is a light bitterness, and I can see that it has lost it's bitter edge, but there is a very wine like character that has mellowed out the nose. Sweet and malty, fruity and enticing.

The taste is far more bitter than I would have expected from the nose. A nice citrus hop battles out a earthy hop presence. There is a very mellow woody character that definitely makes this brew it's own. This is incredibly tasty. Sweet and bitter, very good stuff.

Mouthfeel is medium to thick, with a light carbonation. It's very smooth and easy going down, the ABV is only felt at the very end with a slight warming presence. Drinkability is good, one of these glasses wasn't enough, but the price tag prevented me from going back for seconds ($5.75 for 10 oz pour - as opposed to $2.50 for a 16 oz of Anniversary Ale 2009 right after the release).

Overall, a very enjoyable brew. There wasn't a huge barrel aged character going on, but a very nice mellow woody character that made this brew unique. The hops hadn't faded off as much as I thought they would, with is also a plus. I was impressed with this, and I would definitely get it again. Highly recommended.

Barrel Aged Batch 1000 from Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery