Michigan Wheat | Saugatuck Brewing Company

Availability: Spring

Added by leprechaunandfatman on 06-16-2014

Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 41
3.4/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle, the guest star in the current Saugatuck mixed pack.

This beer pours a slightly hazy, pale copper amber colour, with a teeming tower of overly puffy, rocky, and somewhat creamy bone-white head, which leaves some chunky swaths of streaky, sudsy lace around the glass as it very slowly abates.

It smells of grainy, kind of bready wheat malt, muddled citrus fruit, a bit of white and black ground pepper, faint earthy yeast, and some floral, earthy, and leafy hop bitterness. The taste is gritty, grainy wheat and pale malt, a reduced pithy citrus acerbity, edgy and bordering on phenolic yeast, and more relatively peppy leafy, weedy, and floral hoppiness.

The bubbles are quite active from the get-go, obviously, and persist in their tacky frothiness, the body medium-light in weight, and sort-of smooth, the yeast taking a minor ounce or so of proverbial flesh here. It finishes off-dry, but trending towards the latter, as the fruitiness sags, and the yeasty wheatiness keeps 'er between the ditches.

Overall, a kind of weird offering, as at first I thought I had me a case of the ol' infection, but really, it just seems like this brewery bottle-conditioned this puppy for some damned reason. The overwrought fizziness and bubble formation detracts from the underlying whole, which is simply a plain and easy-drinking wheat beer from the American (near) heartland.

4.04/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

$9.99 sixer from The Copper Vine. 12 oz. bottle dated 050515 poured into a weizen glass. Sweet label art that represents all the coasts.

A- The golden body clouds nicely with a yeast pour, becoming a hazy, golden-orange with heavy carbonation. The 1-1/2 finger, dense, off-white head sustains itself at 1/4 finger and leaves awesome, thick, pillowy rings.

S- Fresh and a little sweet. A lot of orange and a little gummy (more juicy fruit than bubble). Some grainy aroma lends to something a fruit loops (keeping with the Michigan references and Kellogg's). Some yeast and cream of wheat. A tiny bit of black pepper.

T- Orange zest with hints of lemon and grapefruit. At 4.7% ABV and 25 IBUs, I dare say it's almost hoppy for the style. Sweet malt backbone that does its best to stand up to the hopping. Clean finish.

M- Medium body is creamy. Moderate carbonation and a dry, citrus finish.

O- An easy drinker for sure. While not a hop bomb, it seems hoppier than some of favorite American Wheat Ales. I'd definitely buy it again for a summer thirst quencher or session beer. Probably a crowd pleaser for a cookout as well. I love that the ingredients are Michigan sourced.

2.5/5  rDev -26%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

All Michigan, all the time. Works for a radio station, but will it work for this beer? It pours a hazy sunset brass-tawny topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises mildly-musty orange peel, dry cracked wheat, and a dash of coriander. The taste generally brings in more of the same, though from the middle on there's a strong sense of old penny and dust, ruining whatever goodwill had been hitherto built up. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, this beer just didn't do it for me. I'm not sure what ruined things, but there just wasn't much positive cohesion, and there was just too much metallic mess for me to smile.

3.3/5  rDev -2.4%

I picked up a bottle of Saugatuck's Michigan Wheat a few days ago for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I'm in the mood for a wheat beer today and since I've never had this one before I thought I would give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a weizen glass.

A- The label looks nice, it goes good with the name and I think it does a good job at representing the state, I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a cloudy amber orange color that took on more of an orange color when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of slightly bubbly white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice spotty and patchy rings of lacing behind. This was a good looking beer and I thought it looked very true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the wheat being the first to show up and it imparts a nice wheat, grainy and bready like aroma that's followed by a nice orange like aroma with some orange peels seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the yeast which imparts a light banana aroma and it's followed by the spices which are pretty noticeable and it seems like clove and maybe some nutmeg seem to stick out the most. This beer had a nice aroma, but the spices were just a little stronger than I would prefer.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the wheat still being the first to show up and it imparts that same aspects that it did in the aroma, but this time it shows up just a little bit more. Up next comes the orange rind which is barely detectable and it hardly shows up and it's followed by the yeast which is on the lighter side and the banana aspect really doesn't come through. Towards the end comes the spices which are the same as they were in the aroma and they are still the aspect that sticks out the most and it had just a light amount of bitterness with a light earthy hops flavor with some spices and wheat showing up in the aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but I thought the spices still showed up too much and I wish more that orange peel and yeast showed up.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, fairly dry on the finish, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was decent and I thought it was a decent example of the style, but I thought the balance prevented this beer from being as good as it could be and I found myself wishing the flavor was as complex as the aroma was, but it's still a decent beer and it fits within the guidelines of the style. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, crisp, fairly dry on the finish, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, so I think one would be enough for me since I really don't have the urge to drink another one. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was good and I liked the complexity to it. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it wasn't bad, but it just wasn't as balanced and complex as I would like and I just wish it was much more like the aroma. I don't think I would get this beer again, in the end when it comes to this style I would just rather have an Oberon. I would recommend this if you like a good amount of spices in your wheat beers, but other than that I don't think it's a must try. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, after that nice aroma I had some nice expectations for this beer, but once I got to the taste it didn't really come together as well as I had hoped. This isn't my favorite Saugatuck beer or my favorite American Pale Wheat Ale, but it isn't the worse in either category. I appreciate the effort, but this one could use just a little bit of work, better luck next time guys.

3.68/5  rDev +8.9%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 3/9/2014. Pours hazy deep gold color with a 2 finger dense and rocky white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of lemon zest, orange peel, pear, apple, light banana, wheat, cracker, bread, clove, floral, grass, light pepper, and herbal/yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of fruity/earthy yeast, pale malt, and hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of lemon zest, orange peel, pear, apple, light banana, clove, pepper, wheat, cracker, bread, floral, grass, and herbal/yeast earthiness. Fair amount of earthy yeast spice/hop bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon zest, orange peel, pear, apple, light banana, clove, pepper, floral, grass, wheat, cracker, and herbal/yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice robustness and balance of fruity/earthy yeast, pale malt, and hop flavors; with a good malt/bitterness balance and some light cloying bitterness after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, crisp, and lightly bready/sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a nice pale wheat ale. Good balance and robustness of fruity/earthy yeast, pale malt, and hop flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

Michigan Wheat from Saugatuck Brewing Company