Otter creek/ Castle Island Special Delivery

From:
Otter Creek Brewing

Vermont, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Notes:
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 11 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
ThrewRedButter from Massachusetts

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

L - Transparent golden yellow with two fingers of white head

S - Mossy, earthy, grassy notes with some pine and melon

T - Sweet citrus up front and then a bite of bitterness. More of the grassy, earthy notes with wet tree bark and pine. Nice touch of malts in the back.

F - Full, but lacking carbonation. No alcohol.

O - Solid collaboration. A good wet hop ale with some complexity.

Oct 28, 2017
HankSingle from Massachusetts

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is such a strange beer.

Peculiar candied fruit up front, brightly sweet - almost like italian soda - just a feather of bitterness on the back. I'm not sure what this is supposed to be, but I kind of like what it is? Really cool tropical flavors, just after that candy, especially from the hop profile. Would have been real cool on tap, I think, had it out of a can.

Oct 28, 2017
ichorNet from Massachusetts

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I really like both breweries involved with this beer, so I've been seeking it out for a few weeks since it's been announced. This is a wet-hopped beer utilizing 100% harvest-picked Cascade hops grown in Starksboro, VT. It also includes pilsner malt, 2-row and flaked barley, as well as Munich malt and it's fermented with a unique yeast strain: Saccharomyces "Bruxellensis" Trois, which is essentially a Brettanomyces-ish "normal" ale yeast strain that gives off some tropical notes as well as a light funky tartness in certain recipes.

Pours a slightly hazy bright golden color with a compact and rather long-lasting head. Some sudsy lace as the surface of foam fades away slowly to about a finger in my glass. Bubbles rise from the bottom of my glass in uneven streams. Not really a spectacular appearance, but it's solid enough I guess.

Nose is slightly pineapple forward with some earthy and herbal notes, presumably from the wet-hop Cascades. I don't get a lot here, though, to be honest, and, though I've always found wet hops to be unique and different from their pelletized (and even their dried whole-leaf/whole-cone) versions, I would never guess this was Cascade-hopped. Perhaps it's the yeast that affects my perception here, as it brings a little bit of funkiness to the table, but it almost seems like a completely different hop varietal was used here (maybe something new-school like, say, Idaho 7?). I usually associate Cascade with bright grassy and floral citrus/grapefruit, so this is weird to my nose. I'm really not entirely convinced here at all. Seems a little underwhelming overall.

Flavor is pretty unconvincing too, which is disappointing. I get a nice grainy hit (the flaked barley/Munich malt combo does great work here, to be honest), but the hops just lack punch. There's a bit of earthiness, yeasty tartness and even vague spice-like notes toward the finish, but no brightness or citrus. Hell, it's not even grassy or floral, just kind of neutral tasting and awkward. Not sure what happened with this one, but it doesn't taste the way I assumed it would given the concept and breweries involved.

Feel is pretty nice on this one, luckily. It has a medium body but feels slick and oily in the right places. The grainy element is, as mentioned prior, played up quite a bit which, though kind of weird in a "hop harvest" ale concept piece, works to the beer's favor overall. The flaked barley and pilsner malt combine to create a robust and detailed yet smooth and crisp profile. I wish the hop utilization was better here, and I'm not sure about the use of Sacch trois yeast here (would've probably been better with either brewery's house ale strain, in all honesty) but when all's said and done, this is still a pretty solid drink. I'm not disappointed I got it or that I have several more as it's likely to be enjoyable and crushable enough for almost anyone into good beer, but I just feel a little let down by what's presented by these two excellent breweries with what seemed like a pretty unique and laudable concept. I think that's a fair approximation of my feelings on this one, but your mileage may (obviously) vary.

Oct 21, 2017
jlindros from Massachusetts

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

canned 9/26/17

Pours a fizzy foamy 1 finger head that fades at a quicker pace, foamy lacing, very clear pale yellow color

Nose juicy fruit, melon, canteloup, little fruity berry and a little generic tropical, grassy and a juicy floral, faint pine in the background, all that but all muted and a bit light.

Taste fair hops again, little herbal spicy almost tea like hop, fruity again, melon, canteloup, little berry, guavaberry (the thing from St Martin), grassy herbal and a touch of pine, a bit of malt sweetness and almost but not quite syrupy,

Mouth is med bod, decent carb

Overall eh, not much good with this one, nothing going on that I really enjoyed, really don't think they accomplished what they wanted to.

Oct 20, 2017
tigg924 from Massachusetts

3.1/5  rDev -13.6%

Had on tap. Pours clear, gold in color with 1/4 inch head. Taste is earthy hops, peach, and pear. Slightly bitter, medium bodied and carbonation. Makes for a slightly above average to average IPA. Not bad, but nothing I would go out of my way for.

Oct 18, 2017