Elk Rock Wapati India Pale Ale | Portland Brewing Company

macsbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-09-2003

2.35/5  rDev -25.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass - tasted on 4/30/2009.

Contrary to the previous postings. This beer is produced by SB Northwest, and is contracted out to Pyramid (and possibly others) for brewing. Mendocino Brewing Company may also have their fingers in the pot. This is a "store brand" beer.

Appearance: Yellowish gold with a white, foamy head that disappears quickly. Foam laces the glass nicely. Nothing to write home about.

Smell: Floral Hops are definitely present in the smell, but not much else. The smell is pretty straightforward and muted. Not impressed.

Taste: Very balanced, but pretty one dimensional in its direction -- hops. There are slight hints of citrus flavors, a little bit of malt, but those flavors are pretty much overpowered by the hops. Slightly bitter aftertaste, as expected with an IPA. Overall, very balanced, not overly hoppy -- if not for the slight hop bitterness, it'd be hard to call this an IPA.

Mouthfeel - Not really smooth, but not rough either. Tastes like a generic beer.

Drinkability -- Easy to drink. Not much to the flavor though...

Overall -- I guess you could call this a "generic mass produced craft beer" with absolutely no character or anything else that causes it to stand out.

3.77/5  rDev +19.7%

I'm rather suprised by the reviews that I have seen here. I happened to pick this beer up at a local liquor store a few weeks ago.
This beer poured a goldenish color with a decent head...the head didn't dissipate quickly either.
As would be expexted with an IPA, you could easily smell the hops. Based on the scent, I expected this to be a much stronger IPA. This was actually a very mellow IPA. I was surprised, although pleasantly surprised. I enjoy a nice, bold but this IPA was less in your face and I found it to be rather refreshing.
This was a very drinkable beer, certainly one that I was able to kick back a few.

3.18/5  rDev +1%

Appearance is medium amber with a thin head that disapates quickly. Smell has a light hop aroma and some malt. Taste has the hops but it's not very pronounced or balanced, leaving a metallic bitter aftertaste that lingers. Mouthfeel is light to medium. I got this one on sale, but I don't think I'll even pay sale price again for it.

3.62/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a dark yellow to orange with a thick white head. Head sticks around for the session.

Smell is dominated by hops but not a powerful aroma by any means.

My initial impression is of a citrus peel type bitterness and dryness. Well balanced between sweetness and hop bitters. Sweet citrusy finish.

Has a lingering bitterness long after the beer is gone. This makes it better with a meal than by itself.

3.95/5  rDev +25.4%

I'm somewhat surprised at the unheralded head that awaits me post pour. Nice bone white creamy head tops this luscious orange scarlett brew. Carbonation rushes to the surface and lacing follows all the way down. Once the cap was pulled from the bottle, hops aroma rushed to my nose. I smelled sweet corn, pine, grapefruit, orange and lemon. Quite a tour of hops flavor. Not an IPA that I'd rush to try again but one I would never refuse.

3.63/5  rDev +15.2%

I picked up a six-pack of Elk Rock IPA to taste review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours an amber gold color, and is clear with very few bubbles streaming through the beer. It appears to be mildly carbonated. A foamy two-finger, off-white (or white with a gold tinge) head forms and is quite resilient. The foam laces the glass nicely, and there is a skiff of foam on the very last swallow.

The smell is hoppy, with fruity notes. There is a strong aroma of citrus, lemons and grapefruit.

The taste is well balanced, predominately about hops, but there are also pleasant citrus and very faint malt flavors. The aftertaste is mildly bitter but pleasant.

Mouth feel is light, dry and crisp and the beer has pleasant zip to it.

This is a very drinkable beer. As IPAs go I think this is above average. Certainly not the best I’ve had, but adequate. I would probably have Elk Rock IPA again, especially if I found it on sale.

3.1/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured into the well seasoned reaper pint glass it forms an inviting head with minimal carbonation support. Clear. Lacing is average. Golden to bright copper. Smell is of floral hops, bordering on perfume like.

Hovering on the balanced side of the house. Hops are stinging and almost seem in a fight with the balancers. Smooth? nah Good? you bet. Not your run of the mill IPA this one will grab your attention whether good or bad. I could see how this would bother some folks but I found it at least interesting. Metallic twinge creeps into the aftertaste.

Worth a few followups for sure.

3.38/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a golden hue, crystal clear. Decent head that fades quickly. Tons of visible carbonation.

Advertised as an aromatic beer on the label, there's a decent amount of floral hops wafting out. Not quite as strong as I would have hoped, but I tend to prefer the double IPA's, so take my view with a grain of salt.

Thin malt profile, with a decent amount of floral and grapefruit hops, nothing terribly strong.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery, but solid in carbonation. With as thin and "mild" as this beer is, it's easy to drink large quantities of, but I'd rather reach for a bolder IPA.

3.33/5  rDev +5.7%

10/03/05- Purchased at Bottleworks in Seattle, CA

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no kind of dating. Poured into my Red Tail Ale pint glass.

Appearance- Slightly cloudy orange coloring, fair 1/2 inch head and average lace.

Smell- A bit grassy, but the hops come through pretty nicely. Mostly floral and fruity hops.

Taste- Slight yeast funk, somewhat laid back hop flavor. Powdered sugar taste with a tad bit of metallic taste.

Mouthfeel- Mild to average carbonation.

Drinkability- After seeing who it was made by and seeing the overall rating I had kind of already made a judgement already. But after drinking it, I found it to be drinkable and actually not that bad. I probably won't ever buy on again, but I could see myself trying this on tap if I was at a bar and they were serving it.

2.83/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a light cloudy orange, foamy head faded to thin layer after about a minute.

Smelly is grassy, citrus, plum, yeast. smells a bit sour.

flavor is sweet, then sour, medicinal, and slight hop finish. not great.

Fire Holmgren! (this comment should get me to my 250 characters...)

2.68/5  rDev -14.9%

This is a yellow clear IPA that has a small white head and little lacing.

It has very little smell average hop nothing big. Teh taste is a light starter IPA light hop bitterness and a very light sweetness. The flavor is very short in duration and the mouthfeel is a light thin soft beer nealry like the fizzy stuff.

This is a drinkable session IPA. One that I would serve to my borhter in law who likes all the light fizzy beers.

3.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a rather lighter color than most IPA's, golden yellow with a thin white head that stayed consistant through session. The smell is stron on malts and caramel coated sweetness and low on hops, this is an IPA, pale ale at best, more amber. The taste is to sugared up, the malts are the forefront hear, a nice tasting sweet molasses/honey toast and nectar tones but the bitterness is so weak that the sweetness seems almost to much. The hops are present but are rather weak next to the potency of sugary substance. Medium bodied. Average all around. Lacking the perfect blend.

2.44/5  rDev -22.5%

Ok Safeway beer here I come! Crap label on a 12 oz brown glass longneck. Aroma is certainlly hoppyin character..but theres a worrisome sugary, syrupy smell backing it up. Doesnt really look much like an IPA..medium golden with small head. Flavour is thin and sweet..some small bitterness at the end. kinda cloying and not pleasing to the palate. I did not like this..it really isn’t an IPA..more like a Blonde or Golden ale.

2.82/5  rDev -10.5%

I grow tired of new beers showing up without any notice that its merely a new label on an old beer. Granted, the label has its charm, but I feel somewhat cheated.

It poured quickly into my glass with not the slightest hint of head. The foam wasn't. Maybe this beer's gimmick is its lack of carbonation. Its absolutely flat, and has a clarity that puts pilsners to shame. It still has a nice golden amber hue, but the sight of things on the table behind my glass is creeping me out.

The aroma isn't bad. Maybe the somewhat stale malt aroma stands out against the hops a little too much, but the hops are there, and are passable. Still too mild for an IPA though. The taste is similar to a scottish or maybe even an ESB. Its fairly easy to drink though, but I don't mind that I've got only one.

Elk Rock Wapati India Pale Ale from Portland Brewing Company