Garrison Bay Double IPA | Front Street Ale House / San Juan Brewing

sanjuanbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by wagenvolks on 07-19-2008

3.71/5  rDev 0%

On-tap at the Front Street Ale House while the GF and I waited to take a Killer Whale watching tour.

Waiter brought me a creamy/rocky tan head that was well retained and left behind THICK webs of lacing. Body was golden brown with a decent carbonation level. Not much hops in the aroma, but the caramel-toffee malts were heavenly. A touch of pine as well.

Interesting flavor on this IIPA, probably could pass as a IPA or even a Pale Ale, but I went with what it was listed as on the menu. Pale and caramel malts balance with some spicy hops and light fruit. Not enough hops to survive as a die-hard IIPA fan's dream, but there's enough to foot the bill. Body is rich and creamy, with a medium-thin mouthfeel and a lingering, semi-medicinal bitterness from the hops. Finishes crisp and clean otherwise. All in all, this was an easily drinkable IIPA, and one I'd probably have again. I'd like to see them up the ABV and hops, though.

Garrison Bay Double IPA from Front Street Ale House / San Juan Brewing