Dunkel Hopfen Weizenbock | Square One Brewery & Distillery

Style: Weizenbock

Added by paxchristi on 08-23-2011

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 3
4.42/5  rDev -0.5%

It’s the first time I’ve ever heard this name too. You can be guaranteed that this beer has just as much going on as its name. I can’t decide whether the artist of this beer is artistically confused or if he is onto something brilliant here, because I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. It was the highlight of my beer-vening. Sensory overload here!

Appearance: It pours a deep amber with mellow, soft head that fades away within a minute or two. Nice lacing still. With the flavor of this beer, I suggest indulging in the head!

Smell: They do the German heritage of this beer justice. It is obvious from first whiff that they used authentic German yeasts in this brew. Banana and clove! Holy cow, banana and clove! It is not overbearing (as there are darker fruit undertones to the yeasty goodness-- perhaps plums and figs?) but it is definitely featured in this brew that showcases their German yeasts. Banana bread comes to mind. I also caught a more than subtle but less than obvious whiff of clove. I generally do not like the flavor of clove, but for some reason, the other flavors gave the right combination to make the clove quite extraordinary.

Taste: The German yeasts take the front end but the malts take the body. Medium body. However, the interesting thing about this brew is that the finish is bitter (60 IBU) but is intensified a bit by the spiciness of the ester alcohol. It is a Bock after all! As I got deeper into the pint, I noticed that there were some definite darker fruit flavors in it. Figs and plums come to mind, and I’d say it prevents the banana from taking over, and it gives it an almost sweet bread element.

Mouth: Bitter on the back and stinging on the front from the esters. In the middle they meet and create an incredible drinkability. As I got deeper in the pint, it become almost creamy from the banana. Unique indeed.

Overall: What an outstanding combination! Its a artistic feat to create such a orgasm of the senses and still retain an above average drinkability. However,I don’t know why they added the Dunkel to the front end of the name, because Weizenbocks are higher ABV Dunkelweizens are they not? Maybe it was to be a bit kitschy or clever? I hope its not a sign of being pretentious. Nevertheless, this beer was my favorite of the evening, and I will surely ask for it again. Earlier in the night, they had it on cask but I was too late. I hope they keep it around, because next time I want the cask. Its the measure of real ale in my opinion.

Dunkel Hopfen Weizenbock from Square One Brewery & Distillery