Wine Barrel Sour Golden | Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

4.55/5
World-Class

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.
New York, United States
captainlawrencebrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Nickls on 11-22-2009

4.75/5  rDev +4.4%

Photo of
4.75/5  rDev +4.4%

You had this beer. Write a review.

4.54/5  rDev -0.2%

reviewed from notes from when i had a great friend up in ny

white capped what was a white grape juice colored liquid. Lots of carbonation coming up the surface initially, but then it all simply vanished as quickly as it came. No really side glass lacing to speak of, just the clear liquid gold throughout the rest of the night. Huge aroma here, lots of sour grapes, really very tart with hints of light woody notes and a touch of what I can honestly say was like a chardonnay aroma that just oozed off of this one. As I take my first sip, I get exactly what I came for, a huge, lip puckering sour experience. Ripping through the taste buds, this was definitely a good way to end the nice. Loaded with grape notes, tiny touches of a vinegar like flavor, and a huge biting dry finish that really just capped the show for me. Smooth, easy, with no hint of the high ABV in here at all. This was really a wonderful sipper.

4.17/5  rDev -8.4%

(From notes - cask at RnH late September 2009)

A - Poured with almost no head whatsoever; murky yellows brown color that was absolutely still

S - Sour apples; little funky; vinegary; fresh light fruits/green grapes

T - Sour; balsamic vinegar; nice acidity; little touch of light fresh fruit sweetness; savory; delicious ale!

M - Medium to fairly full for the style; no carbonation really (cask); coating

D - Wonderfully nice drinking and was especially a treat on cask

I had not idea about this brew before I tried it, and I consider myself very fortunate to have had the opportunity. Lovely

Wine Barrel Sour Golden from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.