Laughing Dog Cream Ale | Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog Brewing
Idaho, United States
laughingdogbrewing.com

Style: Cream Ale

Laughing Dog Brewing's Cream Ale is a traditional cream ale fermented with both ale and lager yeast, this gives us the creamy smoothness of an ale with a nice dry crisp finish.

We start with premium American grown 2 row pale malted barley, add a touch of German pils malt then Australian malt for color and flavor. Finally only choice Northwest grown Hops are added. After carefully fermenting for 2 weeks, we quickly chill the beer and filter.

We allow our Cream Ale to then cold age for another two weeks before kegging or bottling.

Added by woemad on 07-06-2006

3.5/5  rDev +8%

This was poured into a becher pint glass. The appearance was a burnt copper color with a lasting finger’s worth of white foamy head that eventually left a nice spider web clingy little lace. The aroma had some toast, sweet corn and some white bread. The flavor was malty sweet with the white bread/toast as the aftertaste with a clean sweet finish. The palate was between light and medium bodied with a pretty good sessionability about it. Carbonation felt fine. ABV felt good. Overall, if I lived in Idaho, I wouldn’t mind pounding this on the hot Summer days.

2.89/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

3.89/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Clear yellow brew with plenty of white foam in the PIlsner glass. Aroma is a peculiar under-the-sink smell. Plenty of carbonation and a light mouthfeel. Odd sourish hint along with the slight sweetness of the grainy taste. Surprisingly bitter aftertaste without a trace of hop flavor.

This is pretty awful, like a decent lager spoiled. I find the couple of Cream Ales I've liked both tasted like they were in the wrong category (Kölsch and Pale Ale). If this is the real example of the style, there's a good reason it's not too popular outside of Rochester.

Date stamped on the bottom of the 12 oz can is 05/19/16 so it's actually pretty fresh.

3.86/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a delicious melted butter color with a 2 finger head on top. Head retention is null but is pretty while it lasts. Opacity is 80%.

A deliciously musty smell with cream, blackberry, green apple and citrus. Light hop oils. Some faint grains, too.

Quite a bit of lemon, with pink sea salt crystals, a hop bite, and a yeasty finish with more citrus pith. While underwhelming it's actually not bad at all and quite refreshing.

Feels crisp, clean, and simple. A slight dryness is left on the finish.

I'd have this again, especially on a summer day - but it ain't bad in the winter time either.

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.14/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

1.5/5  rDev -53.7%

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

3.2/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden cloudy with white lacy head. It shines in color

Smell is weak with a slight skunk to it.
Taste is crisp fruity with mild hop and a push of flowery taste.
Mouthfeel is heavy with carbonization. More then I would like to see on a cream ale but it doesn't take over the whole beer.

Overall this beer is alright but nothing that makes my top beer list.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

12oz bottle, a souvenir from a whirlwind shopping spree at the Boise Co-op.

This beer pours a hazy medium golden straw colour, with two fingers of fine foamy white head, which leaves some decent sponge pattern lace around the glass as it settles. It smells of a substantial citrus edge, and fine pale malt. The taste is quite lemony, of the neutered counter polish sort, with some floral white wine character, over a very soft bready malt influence. The carbonation is on the low side, the body medium-light in weight, somewhat smooth amongst the acidic overtones, and not really creamy. It finishes dry, crisp, and fruity, the floral grape essence remaining quite persistent.

An interesting cream ale - the NW hops manifesting in an unusual manner, overshadowing the expected cream ale maltiness, not to mention the lack of a well, at least minimally creamy texture.

2.11/5  rDev -34.9%

So I got this bottle in a local for locals trade, thank you isualum12. ummm, I'm going to be as objective as I can here but I don't think it will help much. I really don't review much, its hard. So when I do its because a beer is remarkable, to me at least, and this one is. Just not for the right reasons. "Cream" when you hear it just sounds good, doesn't it ? Anyway, this beer pours a nice hazy gold color with a thin white head that sticks around a bit. Not bad. Smell, I don't know, orange maybe.... not much. Taste is the same. Orange, Maybe ?? I'm glad I tried it, I'm also glad I only got 1. I'll do everything I can to prevent the drain pour, I remain hesitantly optimistic. We'll see.

Laughing Dog Cream Ale from Laughing Dog Brewing