Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bourbon Barrel Saison | Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Added by ktrillionaire on 05-11-2011

1.75/5  rDev 0%

2.86/5  rDev 0%

On-tap at Ale&Witch

A - The beer pours a hazy orange-gold and is capped with a frothy and somewhat persistent white head.

S - The nose is light and grainy with some dirty wheat and funky apple overtones. I am not sure if I like it or not. The barrel is not very apparent, nor is any oak, but this is a different aromatic than I am used to in a Saison. As the glass drains, my optimism wanes.

T - The flavor is very similar to the aroma, with the addition of a grassy element; there are strange rotten apple notes and some musty wheat flavor and a certain green dryness, especially towards the finish. The flavor is, nonetheless, quite mild. I would not know that this beer had touched a barrel with having been told so.

M - The feel is about average. Soft, lighter than medium-bodied.

O - I am not crazy about this beer; for a special release it is not very special.

Bourbon Barrel Saison from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub