Bourbon Barrel Mortimer Black IPA | Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Added by Rayek on 09-14-2011

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

3.6/5  rDev -0.6%

I consumed Mortimer in a tulip glass on tap at the beer shoppe in Davis, CA

A: Great pour resulted in a beautiful tan, fluffy head. The brew itself was extremely dark with almost no light coming through.

S: Nice oaky aroma. I'm getting lots of coconut and some slight vanilla. Not as rich as I'd like, but still very good.

T: Light bourbon taste up front with big a lot of oak flavors. I'm getting some alcoholic vanilla too. I can certainly taste coffee throughout. I was honestly expecting a larger hop presence, but I think some of the hop flavors flavors yielded to the barrel aging. It certainly does have a bitter finish though.

M: This beer was way too light in my opinion. However it was very creamy. This left me at an average mouthfeel.

O: I wanted this to have bigger flavors and a bigger body. That said, only the body is truly lacking. Flavor is good but not great.

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Apparently Mortimer is what happens when Mojo Risin' Double IPA and Planet Porter meet in a Bourbon Barrel. The result is pretty decent.

Mortimer arrived in a shaker pint glass with a small head and a deep walnut hue. The head had nice staying power and left a nice amount of lace.

As with many a bourbon barrel aged beer, the barrel really comes through at first. It adds a heavy oak, toffee and alcohol presence. Planet Porter brings it's stout-light coffee and burnt bitterness flavors, plus a hint of baking chocolate. The bitterness from Mojo is quite pronounced and carries a heavy grapefruit and lemon citrus bite. Alcohol adds a touch of warmth, but is otherwise well masked. The beer has a nice silkiness in the mouth.

Overall, I liked this, but it would be nice to try and non-barrel aged version.

Bourbon Barrel Mortimer Black IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub