Cold Brew IPA

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Cold Brew IPACold Brew IPA
Notes: Rogue Cold Brew IPA is a hoppy IPA blended with 200 gallons of Stumptown Coffee Roasters’ famous Cold Brew Coffee in every batch. Brewed to awaken your senses, Cold Brew IPA opens with a huge hit of coffee aroma that is balanced by a not-so-subtle hop punch.
Reviews: 95 | Ratings: 346 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.84/5  rDev -3%

This CAN seem like it is out of order, given that I previously reviewed the lower-ABV AmeriCAN Blonde release 2.0, but it made sense as CANpared to a higher ABV AIPA. They will all get reviewed & added to The CANQuest (tm) eventually, but this seemed like the logical choice in my ongoing Rogue backlog eradication.

From the CAN: "India Pale Ale Blended With Cold Bew Coffee"; "Revolutionary Blend"; "Dare*Risk*Dream"; "Dedicated to Two of Our Favorite Things"; "Rogue Cold Brew IPA is a hoppy IPA blended with 200 gallons of Stumptown Coffee Roasters’ famous Cold Brew Coffee in every batch. Brewed to awaken your senses, Cold Brew IPA opens with a huge hit of coffee aroma that is balanced by a not-so-subtle hop punch."; "17° Plato*82 IBU*74 AA*20° L".

I beCAN by Crack!ing open the vent on this 12-fl. oz. CAN & following that action with a slow, gentle C-Line Glug for no particular reason other than such has become an ingrained habit of mine. I watched in rapt fascination as it foamed up to form two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with excellent retention. Color was Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity & amber highlights. Nose smelled strongly of coffee, but not like an AIPA, which matters since I review to style, NOT to personal taste. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was more towards coffee than hops, although I will grant that it had a PNW hoppiness to it. I just felt very CANflicted while drinking it. I liked it well enough, but stylistically, the coffee adjunct was out of place in the style. 8=( Finish, while dry and bitter, was more akin to my morning coffee than to an AIPA. I did my best with this one, but YMMV.

woodychandler from Pennsylvania, Oct 11, 2019
4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

From the 22 oz bottle in a snifter. This fine brew pours a
red tinged murky mahogany with a decent head of off white
foam that subsides to a thick ring, thin light layer, and sports
light lacing. Nose of coffee, touches of cream with pine touched
hops. Flavors far surpass the nose with cold brewed coffee, subtle
caramel, light touches of cream, and seriously sticky pine. Very nice
mouth feel; medium body, smooth, medium light carbonation, and a
bitter pine and mild coffee finish.

Overall, an excellent brew!

Cheers

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dark, coffee coloring. Tasted like coffee beans freshly roasted. Has a distinct, hazelnut taste with earthy hops. Not too bitter. Hints of maple syrup. The head was nice and tall with good lacing. Light body... I like my coffee black ;)

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

I had no intention of drinking this, but my wife works for a retailer that stocks this and brought one home. And I drank it as more of a dare than anything, because I couldn't think of a grosser flavor than a coffee IPA—I was prepared for the worst.

So I was surprised that it's actually kinda… good? One huge disclaimer up front. This is marketed as an IPA, but it's really not; the hop flavor is mild to almost nonexistent. Instead, it's an ale with a nice coffee flavor. It has a copper color, mild carbonation, and a light body, with very little head or lacing. The flavor is nice, though, toasty, slightly sweet coffee, with a slightly herbal citrus favor lurking way in the background.

Know going into this, though, that beer contains caffeine—a LOT of it. I made the mistake of drinking this late and, once I finally fell asleep, must have woken up five times during the night.

So if you go into this expecting a hop-forward IPA with coffee flavors, prepare for disappointment. But if you want a nice, fairly light coffee-flavored beer, this is a good bet.

WetCoaster from California, Mar 07, 2019
1.77/5  rDev -55.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

At first I was put off by the prospect of a strong hop flavor mixed with cold brew coffee, however this is not a very hoppy beer and I agree it shouldn’t be called an IPA. I actually thought that would make me like this beer more, however to me personally I thought the coffee did not taste quality at all. Left an after taste of day old, cold Folgers in the mouth. Did not enjoy.

Jamesg1188 from Colorado, Mar 06, 2019
3.7/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is an odd beer. First, although it calls itself an IPA, and is classified as such on BA. But it's not at all like any IPA that I can think of. Yes, it's got some hops, but not too many. That, in my book, is not enough to make it an IPA.

I'd call this a coffee ale, and a pretty good one. The Stumptown coffee is really good, and it dominates the taste. This is a coffee prominent ale somewhat like Santa Fe Java Stout, or Surly Coffee Bender. But it's not nearly as good as those two classics. It's somehow a little unbalanced, not as smooth, and not as satisfying. I still liked it a fair bit, as I'm a sucker for coffee ales, but my lower "Overall" rating reflects the fact that ultimately Rogue has missed in its attempt to combine two styles ... coffee ale and IPA. Buy it if you like coffee ales. If you like classic IPAs, this is a miss.

VashonGuy from Washington, Jan 04, 2019
4.01/5  rDev +1.3%

A very nice, tasty, smooth brew but unfortunately it didn’t remind me much of an IPA. Nice slightly hazy orange color with a little head and spotty lingering lacing. Smells of great dark roast coffee and chocolate. Tastes similarly, along with some malt, caramel, vanilla and cracker. But where’s the hoppy bitterness? There was maybe a trace of fruity hops buried way down in there but it was so faint that I was left feeling very disappointed. The only hint of bitterness I experienced was that of the slightly-acidic coffee aftertaste. Nice and smooth, mild mouthfeel and good carbonation. But was more like a porter or stout than an IPA.

beersampler6 from Michigan, Nov 12, 2018
3.57/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tuesday, October 09, 2018 6:00 PM
1 Pint 6 Fl Oz/650 ml poured to wine glass
Sight: Deep light brown to amber, appears clear , small to no foam
Smell: strong aroma of green coffee beans, hoppy and malty-strong smell of grains
Taste: Very good, medium bitterness, some sweetness
Feel: Medium-full body, sticky, medium carbonation, good finish follow through, strong bitter aftertaste
Overall: Very good beer, ok to repeat, not to look for

gandres from Philippines, Oct 10, 2018
3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a grip shaped goblet: color is a slightly murky copper/light amber, head is light tan with fine bubbles and some lacing on the glass sides; head presented at least 1 inch thick.

Smell is blend of lightly roasted coffee with nutty and earthy tones with that of the hop grass, pine and hints of grapefruit.

Taste follows with more malt showing through the coffee and hops: coffee/malt/hops interplay with flavors of roast, nutty notes, light chocolate, earthy mix of coffee and herbal hops, malt is slightly sweet with hint of roast and caramel.

Mouthfeel is moderately carbonated and then moderate bitterness from the coffee and hop levels.

Overall a very good coffee ipa with maybe a bit more malt depth than others I've tasted.

mvanaskie13 from Pennsylvania, Sep 28, 2018
3.97/5  rDev +0.3%

I love coffee and I love IPAs so received a can as a gift. I enjoyed it but probably not as mush as I had hoped. I love the aftertaste and really feel the bitterness I like from black coffee and IPAs. While drinking I was a little confused. Felt a like a thin porter but it’s an IPA, and in that case missing the hops. My van was almost 7 months old based on the date on the bottom of my can, so maybe lost a little. I would definitely try this again. Easy to drink. Hard to believe it’s 7,5%.

haines710 from Delaware, Jun 23, 2018
4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I have read a lot about this IPA and have been waiting long to finally try it out. Although I had concerns about an IPA being brewed with coffee, the comments made me forget my doubts.
The IPA surprised me twice. Once when openingvthe bottle it splashed right out and made me lose about 50-70ml of this liquid gold... looking and smelling AWESOME - and like an IPA, nothing like coffee (yet.)
Then came the next surprise, its taste: I expected more coffee after having had coffee- or espresso stouts but this could be further away from that sort of coffeeness! This is a full-on IPA, bigtime! You smell it, drink it and it's US hops all over - and you're looking and waiting for the coffee... and then it comes. Then you realize the underlying bitterness is enhanced by raw and fresh - in my mind it is of course green - coffee. Then in the aftertaste you get very subtle, very fine and refined hints of coffee INTERTWINED with the hops. And everything in general.
Because this is what it's all about: it is perfectly blended with the ingredients! The hops, the malts and the coffee beens are fused together to create a distinct, homogenous taste - which is better than any of your coffee sh** you have ever had, hands down. This IS the one and only thing you should drink if you want to try the mastery of brewing beer or IPAs with coffee. Here you should start - and here you should end. A perfect IPA with a perfect incorporation of coffee, matching your remarkable IPA taste so well. A truly revolutionary blend.

monkist from Hungary, May 11, 2018
4.62/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Easily the best coffee IPA I've had. The balance in flavors is really well done, with the bitterness of the hops and the coffee providing an equivalent taste profile.

JunkPuncher from North Carolina, May 06, 2018
3.72/5  rDev -6.1%

eyes...
light brown to amber hue, one finger of capped white foam, rigorous bubbles confounding each other in the rat race to their extinction at the top, great lacing, a rather nice bucket o' suds

nose...
west coasty smellin hops on top, mild roast coffee underneath, not much else, pretty much as advertised

taste etc...
great mouth, not silky, has quite just enough snazzle (my word) and bite carbonation wise
the flavor ? strange to place... it starts our very IPA forward (hops) but they bend their will to the coffee which then melts into bitterness in the back quadrants of my maw, the coffee flavor grows as you go on, sort of opens up and begins to taste like a cup you left on your desk that has cooled some, definitely a tasty experiment

verdict?
hmm... I think the hops are a little too much here (and I thought I would never say that!), the coffee gets bumped out of the photo a little too much... it's close but just misses the mark... still, tasty and well crafted, maybe some other type of hops could stand in here and pair better ? I'm sure Rogue will figure it out, they are much beer smarter than I

Ego from New Jersey, Apr 28, 2018
3.12/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A thanks to the captain of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pretty auburn color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of coffee, some herbal notes. Taste is the same, coffee, herbal, light pine, mild bitterness. Feels medium/light bodied in the mouth and overall, they may have been swinging for the fences with this one, but it ended up being a can of corn.

tone77 from Pennsylvania, Apr 02, 2018
4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Poured a hazy amberish medium brown with a creamy one finger off white head. Head remained a nice creamy cap throughout and left medium lacing.

S - The aroma gets right to the point, intense floral and piney hops along with a strong fresh ground coffee, and a nice sweet caramel malt note.

T - Slightly less robust than the aroma, the flavor begins with a nice hoppy punch with notes of pine, citrus, and just dank american hops, then finishes with a nice smooth coffee flavor. The hops are strong in both a flavor and bittering sense, overshadowing the coffee. The coffee flavor seemed more intense at the beginning but waned as I drank it. It is definitely hop forward with less emphasis on the coffee.

M - Pretty standard for an IPA, average carbonation, medium thick malt stickyness, sweet at first but finishes nice and dry with the ample bittering hops.

O - I actually like this coffee IPA better than some other examples I've had. The reason I like this is the hops take center stage, and the coffee is more of a secondary flavor found mostly in the finish. This to me is the perfect balance for this kind of brew, very enjoyable indeed.

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a J. Wakefield Brewing OG teku glass.

A: Dark copper in color, with a finger’s worth of foamy off-white head with good retention, especially for a hoppy beer. Average visible carbonation.

S: Sticky resinous hops, roasted coffee, toasted brown malts. Mild citrus rind hops as well.

T: Roasted coffee, piney bitterness, and lightly toasted bready malt body. Again, there are lighter notes of citrus rind hoppiness. A hefty punch of bitterness at the end that seems to derive from the roasted coffee, hops, and some naked alpha bitterness.

M: Average body for an IPA. Carbonation sensation a touch on the low side, and alcohol presence seems average.

O: I’m not a Rogue fan, nor a coffee IPA fan in general. But honestly this was pretty good and easy to drink. Nothing great or outstanding or style defining or game changing. But if a coffee IPA sounds good and you see this one, I wouldn’t tell you it’s a bad idea.

3.06/5  rDev -22.7%

-Can to spiegelau ipa glass.

A: A dark ice tea pour has a sudsy and washy topping that quickly dissipated to a polish surface with a soapy ring around the vessel. An almost non-existent nature of carbonation.

S: The coffee is extremely faint, taking a back seat to some dank and resinous pine oils and caramelized malting. Some dank herbal aroma and pungent wet flowery hopping lend to the ipa appeal, a good distraction to the fact that the coffee was a non-factor. The overall strength was only moderate, the coffee less so, and did not hold well in the long run.

T: The flavor started out watery for me, washy with almost no taste, that turned to some dank and herbal flowery hops, combined with caramelized malts and alcohol. Spicy rosemary, woodsy notes, along with pungent saffron, gives this an odd appeal, that again, overshadows what little cold coffee that may, or may not be present. There is a strong sense of alcohol and warming. The cold press coffee was again muddled behind the hoppiness, lacked freshness and a non-factor.

M: The mouthful was on the lighter side of medium, slightly oily and syrupy, with no carbonation texture. Weak, no snap, gentle and boring.

O: Overall if your are buying this for the cold brew coffee and ipa mixture, you may be disappointed and find only the hoppiness, less coffee. The flavor was dull, and the first impression was watery, that only slightly increased in terms. It lacked any complexity, and did not finish well, with a poor drink-ability rating. Poor by style, lost interest after several sips, and found it a boring drink, and bland. pass. Final note of interest, there was no can dating to verify age factor.

beerthulhu from New Jersey, Jan 10, 2018
3.53/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not a "coffee" beer guy, but this kept my interest for a full can. Coffee flavor didn't seem overpowering. Somehow I think maybe a little sweetness would have made this even better. Maybe a taste of molasses or honey. Not sure if I'd buy it, but wouldn't turn my nose up at it either.

DavetotheB from Pennsylvania, Dec 22, 2017
4.01/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at Yard House in Atlanta.
Pour is clear, copper colored, and topped with an excellent beige head. The head leaves a nearly complete coat of lacing on the glass.
Plenty of coffee here (with good, but not great coffee flavor), yet both hops and dark bread (grains) show up as well.
Medium-full, smooth body with near medium carbonation.

Overall: A recommended coffee beer.

chinchill from South Carolina, Nov 22, 2017

-honey- brown can pour with a slight haze. Thin, tan foam cap disapates quickly. Aroma is of deeply roasted coffee and pine hops.
The coffee- IPA balance is spot-on. Toffee and hop-resin combine with some woody notes for an enjoyable mix of bitterness.
I start each work-day with cold brew coffee. This would be a preferred substitute, but I'll reserve them for weekend-days for now.

Bluecrow from New York, Nov 19, 2017
4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Amber and cloudy with no visible carbonation, topped with 2 fingers of beige-yellow head.

Smells of toasted malts, caramel, coffee, pine and dankness. Hints of banana fruitiness as well. Its like Rogues' amber ale but with coffee notes.

Caramel and coffee mix with pine and dankness, citrus and resin syrup.

Medium body, with little carbonation. Slightly sticky on the tongue.

Got in Chiang Mai at Namton's. Really good brew. I love this one, intriguing and unique.

patre_tim from Thailand, Oct 23, 2017
3.74/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is a review on a can that was filled July 6 2017. Today is October 20. If I get a fresher sample this review may change. I will pull my punches on negative characteristics that are age related. It's not the recipe or the brewer's fault. This tastes like it was a great coffee IPA brewed last July that was left to die a slow death at room temperature in an Oklahoma package store. So here goes:

Pours to a permanent head that lasts and laces a bit. Aroma is spicy hops, toasted malts and roasted coffee. This is not fresh so the hops are a bit wilted and cheesy. Flavor is a very clean and crisp blend of coffee essence and hop bitterness playing together well. Mouthfeel is a bit astringent. Overall not a bad go. I found I like the combo of coffee and American IPA or double IPA but so far only if it is fresh from the brewery.

BrewAskew from Oklahoma, Oct 20, 2017
4.11/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

The body is a deep, dark red at the top, almost brown, lightening to a reddish-amber at the bottom, nearing opaque, with a creamy white thick blanket, being on nitro.

Lemony hops are paired with that classic coffee-chocolate mocha combo, followed by round earthy biscuit and a little sharp bitterness, finishing dry and chewy.

This is enjoyable, and better than Stone Mocha IPA.

Sabtos from Ohio, Oct 16, 2017
3.96/5  rDev 0%

12 ounce can poured into a Jester King Snörkel glass.

Appearance: Dark hickory brown, very opaque. Only a small ring of head, about half a finger, off a decent pour. Pretty.

Smell: Not a strong smell of coffee, but it's present, along with pecans and a strong, fruity hoppiness. There's some woodiness, very much like a stout.

Taste: The coffee flavor comes through much more in the flavor than in the smell, dark and rich, like a nice Colombian blend. Surprisingly, despite a pleasant, spicy hops profile, it's not that bitter. I guess it's like adding negative numbers: two bitter ingredients, black coffee and a hoppy IPA, cancel each other out! There's a sweetness in the finish, coming from the malts; it's reminiscent of coffee cake. Very easy to drink.

Mouthfeel: Goes down like iced tea (or iced coffee, maybe?). I wish it was a bit thicker, a bit more carbonated. My can was a little on the old side, so that may have something to do with it.

Overall: Good stuff. Rogue rarely puts out a bad beer, and they pull off fun brews like this well. I hadn't tried a coffee IPA before, but I'll keep an eye out in the future. It's a good combination.

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

Hazy brown with a small dense head that settles to a ring rather quickly. Nice wall of fine bubble lace.
Smell is coffee and malt.
Taste is bold bitter coffee with a touch of hop bitterness. Malts add a touch of sweetness.
Mouthfeel is medium with slightly low carbonation. The finish is slightly sweet and eventually dry.
Overall a tasty beer if you love dark roasted coffee.

Spikester from Oregon, Sep 19, 2017