Black IPA | Appalachian Brewing Company

Added by tbrown4 on 05-15-2011

3.6/5  rDev +5%

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Had this on tap at the Harrisburg brewpub

A - Dark brown, tannish this head, no lacing, some carb streams, not much head retained

S - Chocolate hops? There's a sharp sweet and bitter aroma combo coming out

T - Dark roasted malt and bitter hops up front that follow through the rest of the tasting. Flavor profile is very limited, but focused. I keep coming back to bitter dark chocolate. Finishes very clean with not much of an aftertaste.

M - Medium in body

O - This seems merely ok to me. I'm not a huge fan of the style in general, but I'm thinking objectively while writing this. I've certainly had better "black IPAs". I do appreciate how light on the palate this was.

Black IPA from Appalachian Brewing Company