One Down Brown | Pizza Port Solana Beach

Awaiting More Ratings

Pizza Port Solana Beach
pizzaport.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by charlzm on 03-03-2010

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Pizza Port Solana Beach. I didn't order the beer, the bartender poured a glass accidentally and rather than toss it he asked if I wanted it, sure! I guess he was hurting a little bit and I reaped the benefits of walking through the door right as the place opened. Anyhow, onto the review. Poured to a pint glass. The beer pours a translucent moderate brown color with a 1.5 tannish color head. Good retention and lacing throughout. The aroma is delicate, mix of toasted caramel malts along with a mild hoppy earthy character. The bartender said it was a hoppy brown, so I guess this makes sense. The flavor follows suit and is very mellow: Mild biscuit malts together with the roasted caramel. Mildly bitter. A fair amount of earthy hop flavor as well, though I wouldn't call this beer "hoppy". The beer finishes dry with a clean lingering caramel flavor, slightly bitter. Overall, Brown's aren't my favorite style but this wasn't too bad. It could have benefited from a bit more body as it was light. Pretty mild though so it would have rated very high in terms of drinkability.

2.94/5  rDev -14.5%

On-tap at Three Floyds. Served in a pint glass.

A - A finger of creamy tan foam leaves behind a few splotches of lace. Transparent brown body with some ruby highlights.

S - Quite understated, with large amounts of roast and grain. A tiny hint of caramel perhaps. Very odd for the style.

T - Taste is pretty similar - burnt toast. Almost not sweetness to be found here - perhaps a tiny bit of nuttiness.

M - Zesty carbonation, medium-light body, and extremely dry.

D - Weird. Seems over-attenuated, as there's next to none of the characteristic brown ale sweetness. Perhaps this is more English in design, but I didn't get much fruity yeast character either. A very odd beer that wasn't particularly enjoyable.

3.06/5  rDev -11%

A - Brownish beer that was transparent with a big off-white head that left a little stick on the side.

S - One of the few times I've actually wished something was a little sweeter smelling. Some mild roast, little carob, small amount of caramel.

T - I wish there was more happening here. Light caramel and chocolate and a little roast. There isn't really a ton going on with the taste.

M - Medium bodied, although I felt the carbonation level was just a bit high. Very dry.

O - I found myself wishing this was sweeter, which is unusual for me. Too dry and not enough taste, I'll pass next time.

3.68/5  rDev +7%

Consumed Feb. 6th, 2010 at Pizza Port Solana Beach.

Very clear brew, the color of rich tea. Light tan head with beautiful lacing.

Aroma of tea again with a trace of caramel malt.

Tea flavor as well. Slight biscuity malt and a little bitter at the finish.

Dry, mostly clean finish with only slight lingering bitterness.

Odd and not something I'm in a hurry to have again, though the novelty was interesting.

One Down Brown from Pizza Port Solana Beach