T Grins | Pizza Port Solana Beach

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

3.59/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Chilled growler into a glass, from Sideswipe. Thanks, John!

A: Pours a clear, marigold body with a billowing off-white head that fills the glass, leaves register marks, and collapses in sections. It's quite nice to watch, and the clarity can't be faulted.

S: The beer has very little malt aroma; just some pale malts. It has a grassy, Noble hop aroma with some grapefruit, citrus peel, and a touch of skunk. I see John commented on a citrus-dominated nose; perhaps the beer lost something in transit.

T: Lemon, orange peel, grapefruit, grassy Noble hops, and a touch of skunk; the initial impression is of a slightly maltier twist on a German pilsner. As in the nose, I can't detect as much citrus as Sideswipe did, but that's not really a criticism. I like the approach taken here just fine.

M: Light-bodied; it is amply carbed and finishes dry. Pronounced bitterness that lingers well into the aftertaste. I always prefer my IPAs on the cleaner side instead of the oily, tongue-bruising side, and so I can't help but knock this down a notch.

O: I enjoyed it; I've never not enjoyed a Pizza Port growler. But I didn't think it was impressive, considering the other beers I've tried from that chain.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

On tap at Pizza Port Solana Beach.

My pint arrives with a finger of dense white foam atop the brassy, amber hued beer. As the head dissipates it leaves delicate lacing on the sides of the glass. The nose is pale malt and citrus hops. The taste supports the nose with notes of pineapple and grapefruit up front. Waves of orange peel bitterness crash in mid-palate. Citrusy flavors make small comeback toward the end. The finish is dry wih a lingering bitter aftertaste. The beer is medium to lighter bodied, with an evervescent level of carbonation. Overall another really nice effort from Pizza Port. Simple, exceedingly bitter and refreshing, this would be a great brew to enjoy on a hot summer afternoon.

T Grins from Pizza Port Solana Beach