Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

"The James Brown" An Autumn Lager | Voodoo Brewery

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Added by adamette on 10-29-2012

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

First had: on tap at Voodoo

With all the huge, high octane brews on tap for the bottle release, let's also put on a random 'fest beer, why not? Hazy, coppery brown pour, with a small, off-white head; moderate retention and lacing. Bready malts in the nose, caramel, nutty, slight leafy hop profile, but for the most part, an obviously malt-driven brew. Taste was similar, sweet caramel malts, some toast and roast, nutty, leafy, earthy. Nothing special, but a good solid brew overall. Light-medium body, and general easy drinkability.

Poured from tap at the brewery last night into a clean, clear pint glass. Attending with me was my brother in law Bruce. I do not recall the price but something like $4 to $5 is a good guess I think.

Disclaimer: I am guessing at the style. I copied the name of the beer from the chalkboard opposite the bar. It featured the name as it appears here and the ABV. Please feel free to correct the style if appropriate.

A Slightly hazy body that lets plenty of light through but is brown in color under a nice creamy light brown head. Good look. 4.0

S Moderate roast malt and a nice "lager" bite of grain. I smell some pleasant nuttiness too which reminds me of Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. I would not get these two beers confused, mind you, but "The James Brown" simply reminded me of that classic beer's smell. 4.0

T The moderate roast malt and the "lager" bite of grain carries right over into the taste. The taste is where it diverges quite a bit from Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. This beer is a lot less nutty and more thin as well. As far as the qualities that it has on its own: This is a fuller, thicker version of an amber lager. There is more interest here than in any of the standard amber lagers but the style does not do a lot for me. The taste is good overall. 4.0

M Moderate to thin feel. I would not be surprised if it is unfiltered but I do not have any evidence that it is. 4.0

D/O Drinkability is quite good indeed. The approachable ABV of 5.5% suggests that it may very well be a session beer. Overall this is a good, solid beer. 4.0

"The James Brown" An Autumn Lager from Voodoo Brewery