Oaked American Strong Ale | Oceanside Ale Works

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by t0rin0 on 03-01-2009

3.25/5  rDev 0%

4.05/5  rDev 0%

I believe that this was listed as the same abv as the regular version but I could be wrong. Also, I was told that this latest version was done in a whiskey barrel. It seems they do a barrel every few months or so.

Pours a hazy brownish color with possible red highlights showing through but in the plastic sample cup its hard to tell. There is some white head with decent retention.

Smell is oak, whiskey, alcohol, and maltiness.

Flavor is heavy on the oak and the whiskey but also sweet and fruity and a touch hoppy with some bitterness. Actually there seems to be a lot going on here flavor wise. The oak tastes a bit fresh, possibly a testament to the quality of the whiskey that was pulled from the barrel (?).

Medium/heavy body, medium carbonation, and would have been quite drinkable but I was driving back from the Angels Share release and had to watch my alcohol intake.

Oaked American Strong Ale from Oceanside Ale Works