Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Port Townsend Barley Wine | Port Townsend Brewing Company

Style: English Barleywine

Added by flagmantho on 04-15-2014

Reviews by flagmantho:
3.99/5  rDev +4.7%

I had this on-tap in a tulip at Special Brews in Lynnwood, WA. I don't know if this beer is related to the Old Man Barleywine, but it carries the same ABV.

Appearance: rich amber hue with no haze. Head is a thin layer of ivory foam. Looks ruddy and mature.

Smell: rich, sweet and caramelly. Nice, and stylistically appropriate, but lacking a certain complexity that I'd like to see.

Taste: rich, to say the least. Malty, buttery, sweet, caramelly and a little bit fruity. I can't tell if the fruitiness is yeast-based or more to do with hops, but it's a bit citrusy in character so I'd guess the latter. Usually I'm not a fan of a buttery quality in beers, but in this brew it works quite well. I like it quite well indeed.

Mouthfeel: medium-rich body with a good carbonation and creaminess. Expected, but nice nonetheless.

Overall: there's a je ne sais quoi about this beer that I like. I enjoy the fact that I think this beer is tasty despite being bready, buttery and earthy, which generally are not my favorite beer characteristics -- so points for exceeded expectations!

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%