Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Mabel's Best | Port Townsend Brewing Company

3.84/5
Very Good

Port Townsend Brewing Company
Washington, United States
porttownsendbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by beertunes on 04-08-2010

Reviews by blackc5:
4.18/5  rDev 0%

Not 100% sure if this is what I had, as it was only labelled as Imperial Stout, and this appears to be the only Imperial Stout they have offered. Should have checked its actual name... Had this on nitro tap at the Pt Townsend Brewing tasting room. After a round of samples of all of their beers, I ordered a full pint as this was my favorite.

A - Deep black with the nice tan cascading micro-foam head thanks to the nitro. Great rentention and quite significant amounts of thin lacing.

S - Great aromas of deep roasted malts - coffee, dark chocolate, molasses and burnt caramel. It is all there, and quite nice.

T - A quite good imperial stout with a fairly complex flavor profile. Not overly sweet or chocolaty. Roasted coffee, espresso, dark chocolate, and burnt caramel predominate.

M - Im a sucker for nitro tapped stouts, and this one was no different. Head like a perfect espresso crema. Amazingly smooth and creamy. Thick and chewy. Very nice.

D - I could have surely drank a few of these... if I could install a nitro tap at home easily, I think I would. Not sure of the ABV, but I would guess it on the lower end for an Imp Stout. This was not a HUGE beer, but it nicely proves you dont need 12%+ to satisfy.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

The beer poured black with a relatively low head, dark tan in color, that had OK retention and lacing. The aroma was the typical roasted and toasted scents of big stouts. The flavors were also just what I expected from a big stout. Body and drinkability were also very good, but unsurprising.

Overall, this is a fine example of this style, very enjoyable but not very outstanding from the field. Try this when you see it, you won't be disappointed.

Mabel's Best from Port Townsend Brewing Company