Dirty Dick's Audit Ale | Nethergate Brewery Co. Ltd.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Nethergate Brewery Co. Ltd.
United Kingdom (England)

Style: English Strong Ale

Added by feloniousmonk on 05-28-2011

Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 9
3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

Second time drinking one of these, still not sure whether I like it or not, but it's certainly unique among everything I've tried.
Minimal head, virtually no lacing, sort of dark-blonde to light-orangish in color.
Very lemon-peel, grassy, sour funky smell and taste. Just about what I remember the first one being like. Bread, raisins, lemon, and a healthy dose of grassy earthy british hops come through in the taste. After a bit, the surprise of the slight sourness fades and it's altogether more enjoyable to me. Started to really appreciate and like it by the end both times...strange beer, this.

Certainly worth the $4 500ml, if you're at all into strong/old ales and/or sours and happen to come across one.

3.15/5  rDev -10.3%

Light amber, medium-small off-white head steadily shrinking to thin foamy top, foamy ring.

Aroma is sweet fermented raisins & bread dough, meat, wet herbs & grass, hint of fermented lemon.

Taste is sweet-sour fruits and vinegary wine up front. A strong leafy peppery hop character and bitterness comes on at the finish and dominates the aftertaste. It has bittersweet fermented lemon peel and light caramelized bread crust joining the hop bitterness in the finish. It is ok, but seems a bit rough and thin and ultimately is rather tiresome, which is disappointing considering that I find Nethergate's Old Growler to be outstanding.

3.47/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a clear texture. There was a quarter inch of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Average lacing.

S: An OK aroma of malt, bread, and a sweet, sugary component.

T: Tasted of something sweet (that sugary part), a good deal of malt, mild hops, and a bready quality. A decent flavor, but not that noteworthy.

M: An average amount of carbonation with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Not exactly a bad beer, just overly mild and kind of forgettable.

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance- dark golden, almost no carbonation.
Smell-notes if bread and dark fruit.
Taste- malty taste with alcohol taste hinting through, dark fruit.
Mouthfeel- pleasant syrup consistency.
Overall- good Barleywine, drinkable, enjoyed this one. Taste was much more bread though than I am used to.

4.31/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy, no head, almost flat. Nose us funk, straight up funk, Brett I presume. Sour, horse blanket. Taste is flat, old and funky. As I understand this is how this style should taste, but a funky English is odd to me, some kinda good though. A true old ale. I would have liked a bit of carbonation. Kinda ugly, But an overall tasty and waaaayyyy underrated ale. Only 1 review? This beer isn't new either. Odd.

3.92/5  rDev +11.7%

Dirty Dick's Audit Ale, Stour Valley, Nethergate Brewery, "Specially brewed for the feast held on the annual audit of accounts from the mid fourteenth century at the famous colleges of both Oxford and Cambridge. This style was brewed right up to the late 1960's although the style had morphed into a barley wine ale by then. We hope you enjoy our more original 0.5 lbs of hops to the bushel. This bottle conditioned ale contains some natural sediment." Produce of England, I pint, 0.9 Fl Oz. Alc. 8.0 % by col.

Another wonderful gift, ain't I the luckiest fella?
Given to me by Corey over at Hohenstein's, imported by Artisanal, Lanny Hoff's company. This is so new it's not in BeerAdvocate yet, so, hey, maybe I can add it, get a couple extra karma points? I've had two beers from this brewery before, Old Growler, and Augustinian, both many years ago. This style, though, is completely new to me.

Pours a murky orange color, with no head at all, just a mere ivory wisp around the rim, for a head.

Aroma, big, fat hop bitterness, rich malt, pungent fruit, very ripe. I'm reminding of certain overtly pithy American imperial IPAs.

Taste: Sour at first, then incredible hop attack, a two-prong puckering sensation. Grips the lips, then the tongue, then the palate. Each new sip delivers this tart and bitter deployment on the senses once again, and the liquid drips down long and slow down the throat. Moderate carbonation, trickly, tickle mouthfeel.

Pale malts play a background role, as citrus fruit flavor and hops are in charge of this operation. Orange and lemon, particularly pithy, mingled with hops bitterness.
Strong bitter? Pale barley-wine? New old ale? Trying to wrap my noggin around this style, or whatever it is.
Not entirely sure I enjoy it. I can appreciate it, respect it, and drink it. I even like it, though I wouldn't grab another one.
I changed my mind, I do enjoy it. It's dawning on me exactly how close it is to certain American hop bombs. I'd be a hypocrite if I liked those, and not this.

Dirty Dick's Audit Ale from Nethergate Brewery Co. Ltd.