Barrel Aged Saison | Kern River Brewing Company

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Added by Inflames on 09-19-2010

Reviews by Inflames:
4.47/5  rDev +25.2%

If you haven't tried this then you are wasting time reading this. Get to the brewery and try this one.

This brew was on tap in the spring and was a pretty good Saison. Some time in a barrel has made it fantastic.

It still pours cloudy,orangish gold.

The aroma is hay fields and Smartees with a slight dank woody-ness.

The tart grainy taste is so smooth, the residules allow a bit of the spices to come through before the funk gets the best of your taste buds. When I say funk I believe there is a bit of a sour flavor there(some might argue that it is the tartness) whatever, it tastes great either way.

I'm so pissed that I went up by myself with no one to drive me home; this I could've enjoyed all afternoon.

On tap at the brewery 9/18/10

2.32/5  rDev -35%

Poured on-tap at the brewery. The beer pours a dirty-water color, looking more like a cider with orange highlights. No head to speak of. The beer smells like sour-cider mash with some flowery notes. Taste has a foundation reminiscent of apple cider, with sour characteristics. Other flavors are a muddled blend of weak spice and used tea bags/leaves. Sour finish with a mash aftertaste. Not a pleasant drink, and at no point did I consider a second one.

3.75/5  rDev +5%