Really Old Brown Dog Ale | Smuttynose Brewing Company

Smuttynose Brewing Company
New Hampshire, United States
smuttynose.com

Style: Old Ale

Olive, iconic mascot & spirit guide of our brewery, first appeared on our Old Brown Dog label in 1994 & returned, thirteen years later, to pose for our Really Old Brown Dog, a luscious, malt-rich, full bodied “old ale” featuring deep notes of complex fruit. Much like our beloved Olive, this beer will mellow & age gracefully.

Formerly part of the Big Beer Series.

2007 - 7.0%
2008 - 9.3%
2010 - 10.9%
2012 - 10.1$
2014 - 11.1%

Added by cbl2 on 03-03-2007

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

2.25/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Really strong. The first one was fine but I struggled through the second one. It is also much more expensive than your average beer.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.04/5  rDev -47.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

After imbibing this ale ,I believe smuttynose has a decomposing dog being aged along with the ale. I hate to talk poorly about a great brewer , but something is wrong with this ale or there is an actual decomposing dog in the brew. This is bad, this is gross. It tastes the way I imagine an old brown dog in the south would taste if it were put in an alcohol extract. I love smuttynose but this is not lovely at all.

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.76/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours a deep ruby brown with smallish head. The aroma is wonderfully rich, with notes of coke, raisin, molasses, caramel, burnt sugar, walnuts, figs, cinnamon, it has many of those Christmas spice and cookie smells, wrapped up in a lovely sweet package. The flavor is equally as lavish - cinnamon, molasses, caramel, nutmeg, banana bread, date, raisin, fig, golden raisin, prune, nutmeg, burnt sugar, praline - the list goes on. The mouthfeel is rich, but not heavy, almost medium bodied but with a stickier finish, and soft carbonation. Overall this is an absolutely sensational beer. It is rich without being cloying, complex, and juts a joy to drink. Why don't more breweries make old ales?

3.95/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.36/5  rDev +11.5%

3.44/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

This was poured into a pint glass and a snifter. The head lasted longer in the snifter than the pint glass but that was the only difference. The rest of the appearance had a nice looking hazy amber to brown to even some light black edges. There was about a finger’s worth of white foaminess coating the top of the beer. The lacing was somewhat speckled and had a glossy foaminess encircling both glasses. The smell took some light milk chocolate and roasted to a nice aromatic vanilla nuttiness. I believe the bottle I had was only two weeks old as I could definitely smell the alcohol on it. The taste took all of those previously mentioned smells along with the alcohol and added a nice light oakiness invading my taste buds. On the palate, this one sat about a medium on the body with more of a sipping sort of quality to it. This one is exactly sessionable as one might think. Overall, though I had this super fresh when I had it, I wouldn’t mind getting another one some day to age.

3.96/5  rDev +1.3%

12 oz bottle served in a Samuel Adams glass enjoyed 26 May 2017. March 2015 bottling date.
Pours slightly hazy, dark mahogany color and a well sized bone-colored head that has good retention. A full coat of foam is left on the glass with each tip even long after the pour.
Full, very smooth body with some alcohol warming and surprisingly lively carbonation.
Lightly sweet with alcohol esters, toffee and hints of barrel aging, brown sugar, dried fruits, brown bread, white pepper, mild coffee and faint smoke. The aroma has more pronounced dried fruit and fruitcake notes.

3.67/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

No production date evident.
Decanted into a tulip pint glass.
A: Hazy copper with 1/4 in eggshell white head which dissipates quickly.
S: Whisky evident immediately, slowly evolving to medium malts, milk chocolate, toffee.
T: Again, whiskey very strong early, but dry medium malts, kiwi, sugar cane, evident later.
M: Full bodied, with persistent effervescence and a tingling sensation on the tongue throughout.
O: Enjoyable. Not an afficiado of liquor cask aging, but definitely worth a try. Definitely reminiscent of similar Scottish cask aged brews, but milder and thus more enjoyable

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

I really dig the label, with an aging Olive abiding on what may be her favorite chair. It makes me wistful in some indescribable way. I am getting old also & yet I am as careless as ever. Oh well, time for a beer.

From the bottle: "Make mine a Smutty!"; "Brewing fine beers in NH since 1994"; "Come visit our brewery and restaurant at Towle Farm in Hampton, NH. And check us out online at smuttynose.com for events, releases and great Smerchandise in our e-store. As always, thanks for saying: Make mine a Smutty!"

I have gotten into what I consider a more appropriate habit of Pop!ping the cap, conducting a slow, gentle pour & then doing a vigorous in-glass swirl. The results seem a little less harrowing & the clarity is usually very good. This time, I got just under two fingers of foamy, light-tan head that quickly fell away to wisps, but left sticky lacing in its wake. Color was Coppery-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like dark bread, either B&M Brown Bread or a loaf of Rye bread, with a bit of maple syrup thrown in for good measure. Mmmm. Mouthfeel was a bit thin, not watery, but especially for the style. The taste was mostly of dried, dark fruits such as raisins, prunes & dates with a light leatheriness, but it lacked Ooomph. I almost want to say that it needed be aged longer, but I am unable to read the smeared bottling date. I will promise you this - should I see another bottle, I will put the year of purchase on it myself & place it in my cellar. Finish was in that Twilight Zone of semi-sweet to semi-dry. On the one hand, the leatheriness gave it a dryness, but the lack of full aging allowed the malt to retain a perceptibly sweet presence. Hmmm. I am kind of disappointed. Again, I think that this is a beer that will really benefit from proper aging.

3.76/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams glass. Pours a dark red with minimal head. Malty and smoky smell with a taste that is smooth and earthy. Not a bad beer but I think I expected more.

4.49/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.83/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottled: May 2015

A - Dark chestnut burgundy color riddled with suspended floaties, and a moderately thin caramel cream colored lacing ring.

S - Nutty toasted caramel malt, figs, prunes, raisins. For such a big beer, very little alcohol is showing up.

T - Some earthiness, toasted caramel malt, figs, prunes, dates, raisins, some alcohol presence, and mild pine bitterness showing up on the back end.

M - Rich and full bodied, velvety, very little carbonation, lip smacking sticky, and alcohol warming on the way down.

O - Big and malt forward.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Fairly vigorous pour yields a big head that diminishes to a little ring quickly with very little lacing. Nose is a little booze with even less brown sugar and dark fruit with fruit cake as it warms. Taste is where it's at, with a nice sweet blend of all the aromas on the palate. Feel is just about right for an Old Ale. Overall, this is probably the sweetest Old Ale I've had. I have no idea why it took me so long to try this!?!?! Oh, this is not boozy at all. Bottled 2016 and the bottle I have is smudged so I can't make out the ABV.

3.62/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: cloudy; deep amber in color; 1+ finger khaki head that receded to a thin cap; OK lacing;

S: cinnamon, nutmeg, dark fruit;

T: earthy for a moment, then follows the nose; mild bitterness on the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation; moderately dry finish; very smooth for 11.1% ABV;

O: as smooth as this is, I'm not sure it's going to change much as it ages, but I've got a couple bottles set aside to test that - see you in a year;

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%