Chai Spiced Hefeweizen

n/a
Notes:
seaoflament from California

3.9/5  rDev 0%

Gotta thank my buddy Hoppymeal for the opportunity to try this beer. Never heard of this brewpub before and I couldn't find any info on it either. The label has "Chai Spiced Hefeweizen" written with a permanent black marker on the center of the label.

Pours a cloudy, dull, apricot color with about 3 inches of fizzy foam. I can see lots of tiny bubbles racing from the bottom of the glass to the top of the beer.

Big herbal aroma on the nose, peppery, clove, banana, mint bubblegum, dry spearmint, lemony and woodsy like coriander, rosemary, wild honey, flowers, and a sweet wheat malt base. Interesting aroma, and like I said at first, very herbal but still somewhat balanced. Reminds me a bit of gruit beers. Hints of anise and fennel seeds.

Hmm, I was a bit apprehensive of taking the first sip as I feared a big and bitter herbal flavor but instead there is a nice wheat malt flavor upfront with a finish of balanced herbs. Can pretty much taste all that I mentioned in the aroma, pepper, banana, rosemary, mint, spearmint, add a bit of fresh oregano, lemon balm, and hints of fennel in the finish. I think I'm enjoying this more with every sip.

Mouthfeel is a bit fizzy and the beer presents high carbonation...doesn't sting the tongue though. Surprisingly refreshing. Interesting beer overall and a pint or so is easy to drink but more than that would just be too much palate fatigue.

*Note: I don't know what the abv is for this beer or the availability so someone please correct those if you have the info.

Jul 19, 2009