S.L. Gregory's Dark Mild Ale | Melanie Brewing Company

Awaiting More Ratings

Melanie Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States

Style: English Dark Mild Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by russpowell on 05-06-2006

4.02/5  rDev +30.9%

Small tan head that quickly disappears on a very dark brown beer.

Nice inviting malt aroma.

Flavor is a good balance of sweetness and bitternes, hard to put my finger on some of the lements. Maybe a hint of dark chocolate and pumpernickel bread.

Too carbonated. I think the flavor would be better suited to a nice silky feel on the tongue.

2.21/5  rDev -28%

Pours an impressive dark brown. A big tan head forms, but not much lace sticks to the glass.
Sweet malt aroma along with licorice and maybe a touch of coffee. It's also phenolic.
More licorice in the taste; no sweetness that the aroma indicated. It finishes very sour, and I need water after about every sip. It becomes noticeably flat after about 10 minutes.
Not surprisingly, it's low on the drinkability scale. I'm having difficulty finishing it.

Overall, I'm unimpressed. I can't say that I know exactly what an English Dark Mild is suppose to taste like, but I hope it's not this.

2.98/5  rDev -2.9%

Based on a composite of 2 tastings...Again going out on a limb here with scant information. Label says it's a dark mild ale & doesn't taste like a stout. My 2 cents its a american version of a mild, but I could also believe this was an attempt at a munich dunkles...

Pours deep mahogany with a 2 fingers tan head. Minimal head retention and and lacing

Smell; Slight fruit & licorice notes

Taste: Sweet, molasses notes followed up with licorice and toasted malts. Fruitty notes emerge as it warms (ale characteristics IMO). Cadboard & licorice/molasses notes are also present. finishes wet and toasty/

MF: Undercarbonated and slick.

Okay, but something's missing here. Not enough of a fruiity flavor to ensure me it's actually ale. Again, this would do in a pinch.

S.L. Gregory's Dark Mild Ale from Melanie Brewing Company