Shiner Dunkelweizen | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

shiner.com

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by kbub6f on 10-29-2005

3.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

4.25/5  rDev +27.6%

4.5/5  rDev +35.1%

2.46/5  rDev -26.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

When I went to post this review, I discovered that this beer is no longer brewed and the most current reviews are a good two years old. I picked this bottle off the front of a shelf of singles at my local craft beer store a couple weeks ago that seems to turn the inventory at a good pace. I'd imagine its implied age contributes to my negative experience. I'll be sure to bring it up the next time I'm in.

A - Very thin tan head and disappeared immediately, leaving a touch of lace on the surface. Root beer brown and opaque. Held to a light, the color is burnt orange/red and cloudy.

S - Lots of caramel and lightly toasted malt. Some banana ice cream, too.

T - Quite malty. Lots of caramel that's almost burnt. Bitterness in the finish clashes with nose and initial taste, accented by the burnt caramel that lingers.

M - Fizzy. Moderate carbonation. Structure is a bit thin, almost watery. Finish fads rather quickly.

D - The burnt caramel is off-putting and really detracts from the experience. It's like tasting burnt candy and needing something to wash the taste of the tongue. It's also too thin for the style. Not an enjoyable brew that I'm going to have more than this one of.

Update 2011-01-27: Stopped into the LBS and mentioned that this beer has been long discontinued, yet I just bought one here. Was told that the distributor is selling them and had a six plopped down in front of me. Picked up a bottle and it's clearly stamped "03-20-2008". No real concern from the LBS about it; rather an attitude of "we stock whatever the distributor gives us and we don't pay that much attention".

Shiner Dunkelweizen from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner