Nuptiale Cream Ale | Ninkasi Brewing Company

IBUs: 26
ABV: 5.7%

Added by msubulldog25 on 07-24-2010

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

4.16/5  rDev +14%

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

3.42/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours up a good amount of head with okay retention. The head is a pure cotton white while the body is a pale amber to golden straw that appears golden straw in the light. Some lacing at the beginning but none now.

Nose- Light white grapes. Some grain. Maybe a little bit of diacetyl. I'm having a hard time getting much out of this beer- from the glass or the bottle. Swirling reveals a slight note of perfume that I thought I sensed from the bottle but it's really hard to tell. A light rosy, floral note? Maybe?

Taste- White grapes come out as the dominant note on the front and then moves into grain and chalk, mineral, and earth from the hops. White grapes reemerge on the finish. Seems to have a little bit more hop bitterness than I remember other cream ales having but I think I might have only had Pelican's and the infamous Gennesee. Okay flavor profile but I don't really think this is my style of beer. I think it is a good representation of the style though. A little too vinous for me but nothing like what some AALs can be. Average to above average and maybe slightly closer to above average. Some corn, a little cereal, and cornflakes in addition to the grain but the hops are what really make this beer and almost make it simply an above average beer. Grass, herbs, and mineral- very German.

Mouthfeel- Between light and medium bodied with light carbonation. Fairly creamy and smooth with a dry finish.

Drinkability- Pretty easy to drink and the vinous nature of it doesn't disrupt too much. Standard Ninkasi prices which are okay but I don't think I would buy this again.

Overall- Pretty much an above average beer. It's representative of the style but it's a style that's a little close to AAL for me. Worth a try if you're into this type of beer but I think many BA's would probably rather pass.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

a well made and downright slammable cream ale from ninkasi. clear blonde and relatively heady, about an inch of sudsy white foam with fine retention. some sweetness to the nose, and a bit of a bigger grain bill than so many of the lower budget creams on the market. i almost taste some rice in this, or some other rather bland starch, it has body out of seemingly nowhere, but still drinks easy, with bright carbonation and a cleaner cereal finish. my only real critique here is the way my palate stays coated after the swallow. some thin film seems to cover my tongue and teeth, not bad tasting or anything, just an odd feeling for such a light style of beer. not my favorite ninkasi brew so far, but a more than serviceable cream ale. i am a big proponent of the style, and reckon we need quite a few more available regularly on the denver scene.

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%