Love Belgian Beer?

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Ninkasi Brewing Company
Oregon, United States | website

Style: Altbier

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by beertunes on 02-22-2013

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 9
Reviews by NorCalYeti:
3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

3.69/5  rDev +9.2%

I had never heard of this brew when looking through the tap list at the Copper Hog. I felt entranced, almost like some advanced being was controlling my taste and preferences. So I ordered the Ninkasi Ancient Alien. The color was a dark auburn with a minimal foam head. It smelled of sweet nectar and molasses, drawing me in closer. I tilted the glass and was suddenly thrust into an alternate universe among the stars where the tastes of barley and honey filled my mouth. Then everything went black.
When I woke up I was back in Bellingham. I looked around to see if anybody had seen me have an oral orgasm, but it didn't really matter. I savored the remaining Ancient Alien, picking out a woody, possibly maple accent. The lasting impression was sweet and smooth, like I had just traveled the universe.

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

2.86/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Described as an "Alt with coffee and chocolate". Served in straight pint glass. Poured a clean, clear dark mahogany with under a quarter-inch of khaki colored head that had low retention and lace.

The aroma was absolutely dominated by the coffee. The base grains, hops, and chocolate weren't apparent in the nose at all. On the tongue, the basic beeriness started to show up a bit better, and the chocolate was a nice addition, but the coffee still was the major force. Admittedly, I don't like coffee, but I think you need to be judicious in its use in a style as soft, and balanced as an Alt.

The body was nicely full, smooth and even, but the coffee flavor lingered too long on the finish. Drinkability would be OK if you like coffee, but one was enough for me. Overall, a decent enough brew that, if made again, would benefit from a lighter touch. Worth trying if you see it.

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

Ancient Alien from Ninkasi Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.