Barrel Aged IPA | Barley Island Brewing Company

Barley Island Brewing Company
Indiana, United States
barleyisland.com

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by mynie on 12-15-2009

4.22/5  rDev 0%

It wasn't explicitly billed as a BA version of the Barfly, but I figure that's what it was... anyhow, I won't fill in the ABV since I'm not sure.

Pours really dull for a cask beer but totally decent for an IPA. Dark, shimmery gold with a small head.

Smelled like sweet wooden. Bourbon barrel aged, if I had to guess. Nodes of vanilla and cookies and whiskey against pale toffee malt.

Tastes smooth. Almost too smooth. Nice and easy drinking but there's not as much variegation there as I like in my immense pales. Vanilla, wood, thick syrupy malt, light English hops. The aging added an awful lot of character to the malt but that came at the cost of destroying the hop profile.

Barrel Aged IPA from Barley Island Brewing Company