Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

15th Anniversary | Broad Ripple Brew Pub

3.87/5
Very Good

Broad Ripple Brew Pub
Indiana, United States
broadripplebrewpub.com

Style: English Pale Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by blitheringidiot on 01-20-2006

Reviews by Generik420:
4.35/5  rDev 0%

I had this a few months ago, before I knew about BeerAdvocate. First off, this is not, technically WAS not, an English Pale Ale. This was an Old / Strong Ale brewed in honor of the brewpub's 15th anniversary. Beer was a cask conditioned ale and unfortunately only poured in the smaller stemmed glassware, but at a reduced price. As I recall, the ABV was around 7-9%, and I apologize for not being able to be more precise then that.

Beer was a very dark brown, almost black in color with a creamy light tan head. It appeared to be a stout when served, but one taste dispelled that idea. Very malty, almost chewy sweetness. BIG mouthfeel, but surprising very drinkable. Not overly hoppy in terms of bitterness. Seemed to have some caramel notes hidden in there as well. I recall being a bit upset that they wouldn't sell me a growler of this. Unfortunately this was a one-off production, and I don't expect to see it on the menu again, although it truly deserves a spot in the rotation.

3.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The bartender told me that it's "hoppy" and couldn't offer anymore info so if this style requires correction, feel free.

On cask for $2.75 pours into a narrow tulip with a hazy dark ruby brown topped with a frothy settled khaki collar.

Light fruity aroma of a bit of sweet malt. Really not too much going on here.

First swigs: Berry fruity and some fresh dough, and a touch of black cherry. Dry clean finish. Soft feel (cask) medium bodied with an unsweetened iced tea. An easy brew. Probably Fuggle hops.

Last swigs: Slightly spiced Earthy dry red apple. I really had to struggle to find the characteristics of this brew. On a positive note, it was easily drinkable without a fuss.

15th Anniversary from Broad Ripple Brew Pub