Black Heart Lager | Broad Ripple Brew Pub

3.96/5
Alströms:

Reviews by schoolcb:
3.92/5  rDev -1%

Garnet in color and too dark to determine clarity. Aroma is light malt and slight roastiness. Flavor is malty with a hint of roast (their description describes chocolate, but I did not perceive it). Finishes dry and slightly bitter (not a fault). They advertise this as a Kulmbacher style beer, which could mean a pils, eisbock, or schwarzbier. It is a good dark lager so I am going to go out on a limb and declare it a Euro Dark Lager until someone else proves me wrong =)

Next time I am in Indy I will definately stop by Broad Ripple again for a few pints.

4.29/5  rDev +8.3%

This was the last beer I tried for the night at BRBP and we were headed to a beer tasting so my notes are very short.

A: Dark, no head.

S: Coffee

T: Wonderful hints of chocolate and coffee. Bitter chocolate aftertaste.

M: Smooth almost creamy with a perfectly balanced bitterness.

D: I could drink a few.

3.28/5  rDev -17.2%

race day drop by for my first experience here.

deep brown/black and very opaque. no head whatsoever on the pour.

yeasty and slightly rusty aroma. hints of burnt nuts is an afterthought.

a superbly malty character, hinging between burnt malt and caramel malt. nutty as well, flavored almost like a typical dark lager

very flat feel. watery as much as it is heavy.

decent brew but leaves me wondering if they couldn't kick up the carbonation at all. very flavorful even if the other aspects aren't spectacular.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

4.77/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours a fantastic black with decent head and lacing. Excellent deep roasted grain and coffee aromas. Great flavors, with roasted grains and great coffee flavors with a nice crisp malt sweetness; the flavors merged great as well. Went down extremely well.

Draft sample at IBG Winterfest.

A - Poured a hazy brown color with an average frothy brown head that mostly lasted with good lacing.

S- Moderate Roasted and small hop aroma.

T - Medium bittersweet flavor with a medium bittersweet finish of moderate duration.

M - Medium to full body with a smooth texture and soft carbonation.

D - This beer met my expectations.

Black Heart Lager from Broad Ripple Brew Pub