Do These Hops Make My Beer Look Big?
Stone Brewing

Do These Hops Make My Beer Look Big?Do These Hops Make My Beer Look Big?
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker
4.12 | pDev: 7.04%
From:
Stone Brewing

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Do These Hops Make My Beer Look Big?Do These Hops Make My Beer Look Big?
Notes: Can you imagine what Stone Brewing Co. would be like without hops? Neither can we! Those bright green, lupulin-rich cones are the cornerstone on which some of our most beloved beers—Stone IPA, Stone Go To IPA, Stone Ruination IPA, Stone Enjoy By IPA and lots more—were constructed. We’d like to think we’ve done as right by this bitter botanical as it has by us. Ditto the noble hop growers who’ve not only tilled the soil and tended the bines, but also forged ahead to breed new and exciting experimental hop varietals, many of which have charged to the head of the hoppy pack and found their way into some of the planet’s most coveted brews, including our own. So, it is with great pride that we crafted this one-time-only imperial IPA. But we’re Stone…double IPAs flow like water from our brewhouse. So what makes this one unique? Experimental hops! We dabbled with a number of new varietals, including the excitingly named HBC 291, which we brewed with for the very first time. It takes a heaping load of what-the-hell-let’s-go-for-it attitude to go full-brew with something so new, but fortunately, that’s something that flows like water around here, too. So enjoy this tribute to the almighty humulus lupulus. Get your nose in that glass and take in the complex assortment of vivid aromatic sensations in the bouquet, followed by flavors that are simultaneously citrus-like, foresty and altogether scrumptious.
Reviews: 6 | Ratings: 41 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
GarrettB from Colorado

3.32/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

March 16th, 2015 - This beer is dank. As in it IS dank, the essence of dank. Composed of dankness, the aroma weedy and stanky, with some lemon citrus adding a lighter, drier and "less green" dimension. Deeper down under the brush is lemon pepper and lemon rind, reminding me a little of a brewery on days when they're moving and hauling hops, flavoring the air with dust and chaff. For as dank as this brew is, the body is lighter and less foamy than the last Stone IPA I drank. Point of fact - the palate even comes off as a little flat, producing a long, sweet clear aftertaste touched with apple cider. The hop notes in the flavor are less clear and flamboyant than those in the aroma, with more sweet lemon and lime. It's a curious taste, but I like it. After each sip I ruminate on what the hop composition might be. And really, the final note on each take is that sweet lemon, which is powerful business.

Dec 30, 2017
michiganmatt from California

Tried a 4oz sample at Pasadena (Liberty Station) store

Appearance - 4/5
Clear orange, a finger of head.

Smell - 4/5
Mellow, resinous hops

Taste - 4/5
Slightly sweet, mellow resin flavors

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium full in body, smooth, medium-light intensity carbonation.

Overall - 4/5
A solid IPA. I don't like in your face hoppy IPAs, but this was mellow enough to be enjoyable.

Mar 25, 2015
dar482 from New York

4.51/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

The beer comes in a crystal clear reddish amber.

The aroma offers dank, pine, green leafiness, candy sweetness, a bit of grapefruit oils, spearmint, almost savory herbs.

The flavor hits of grapefruit peel and oils up front, then a lot of green forest, leaves, pine, herbacous, lots of resinous qualities, soft sweetness, with a reasonable floral bittering on the back.

Dangerously drinkable for 8.8%. Not the biggest fan of the hop profile, but huge fan of the base. One of the best Stone hoppy beers released in a while.

Feb 14, 2015
dannydetox from California

3.71/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

pale amber in color with a thin, persisting head. lacing remains on the glass as the beer goes down. nose is subdued, with hints of hay, caramel malts and something vegetal. i get baked peach, grass, and herbs across the palate, plus a tingling, mouth-filling bitterness after swallowing the brew. long finish. interesting balance between malts and hops, although less to my personal taste than some of the otheripas from stone (delicious and go to bring a brighter hop tang for my money)

Jan 25, 2015
SuperbikeShaun from California

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A shockingly balanced offering from Stone! Light amber in color with crystal clear clarity. The nose is rather lackluster, with grassy notes and caramel malt dominating. The taste though, is something remarkable. Sweet grass, citrus, stone fruits, I even pick up a little guava, not anything close to the bitter bombs stone is known for this is actually evenly balanced with the sweet malt. I truly wish Stone would make this amazing brew regularly.

Jan 25, 2015
rawfish from California

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

New beer by Stone, what else would it be but an IPA right? Had to get this one from the Stone Company Store in South Park, got it mostly for the pun in the name...did I ever mention Stone has a good marketing team? Big DIPA 8.8% brewed with experimental hop HBC291.

Signature Stone golden amber coloration with very good clarity. Dense packed head of a finger in height that builds solid lacing on the glass.

Weak aroma, apparently no one is gonna be dry hopping with this one. The sweet caramel malt and smooth alcohol are in an aromatic pillow fight with a very unique hop smells of young coconut, distant herb garden and pine with a touch of dankness. Don't get your nose wet, the hops, they really aren't there.

Floral hop flavor, medium in strength but engaging with interesting fresh kitchen herbs, wintergreen, sage, some lemongrass twang, piney and dank finish with rising bitterness. Rather clean finish too. Caramel malt balance is excellent. Really...did I just use balance to describe a Stone IPA what's this world coming to?

Velvety and smooth carbonation. Easy, balanced body and a feel that is way less than the proclaimed 8.8% ABV. I could seriously take down another bomber. I am calling shenanigans with this beer on a whole, the feel is that of an Alpine or Alesmith brew.

Holy hell, Stone made a balanced IPA, that is all. Good night.

Jan 21, 2015