Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone 13th Anniversary Ale | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by seaoflament on 06-29-2009

3.31/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Before there was Pataskala, there was this red ale. This was brown and red. Aroma was hoppy, but not as citrus sun drenched as Pataskala. Came off like arrogant bastard a little bit.

Its boozy, its heavy C hopped, bitter. Wasn't the greatest, pretty strong, bomber format, I only had one of these when it came out.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.46/5  rDev +9.9%

Taken from notes dated 5-2-10.

A deep ruby red body is very elegant as it sits in my Maudite glass. Head is a full three fingers of biscuity tan rocky foam with nice retentions. Scattered lace is left all over the top of the glass. Nose previews a nice mixture of woodsy hops and mineral based malts. It is a very appetizing aroma for sure. Enters the mouth crisp and just as rustic as the nose previewed. Hops hive a nice bite up front but are not overly dominate as the malts equally shine. the hops may have been more prominent when this brew was freshest, but it is just right for me now. Beautiful balance on this beer. Hops do come back and get a little prickly on the back of the tongue as you drink but this is quite nice. The mouthfeel it produces is wonderful. This beer really reminds me of Double Bastard which I love. Superiorly drinkable.

4.31/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Told not to cellar, BUT I'M A MAVERICK. I had a few of these fresh a few years back and thought they were quite good, so I saved one for a 5 year tasting. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Dark red with pretty decent head formation. Reading previous reviews, it seems the head does develop over time. The agitator in the Duvel tulip certainly doesn't hurt, I'm sure.

S: I read the 2012 reviews and saw a lot about the alcohol. I'm really only getting a little of that, so I guess the extra 2 years have really helped on that front. Some toffee and sweet malts up front, with a slight hint of currants.

T: Very, very sweet, caramel and molasses dominate. I think a year earlier would've been a better call for this, but I was bound and determined for a 5-year review. That currant/raisin flavor sticks around a bit. Decently long finish - honestly, a minute or so after the last sip is when this beer gets really interesting, with the raisins and molasses dominating.

M: Medium- to full-bodied, surprised the rest of the flavors don't stick around longer.

O: This one was pretty solid fresh (wish I would've reviewed it back then), but 5 years really is too long. I could see maybe 3 or 4 being worthwhile. I don't really get Stone's insistence that you "Do Not Cellar. Enjoy in 2009." I had this as part of a 3-year vertical in 2010, with 2008, 2009, and 2010 anniversaries, and I recall 2009 standing out above the others (and those were pretty solid fresh). I remember thinking I had a gem on my hands but I guess it was just slightly too long.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%