Rubescent Zhaftig Ghastly Blood Stout

3.94 | pDev: 9.39%
From:
Dark Horse Brewing Company

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
Notes: Have you ever looked at something that you were going to eat or drink and it tastes nothing what it looks like? Well we made a beer that we think is sure to bend some minds. A 10.5% "Blood" Stout is what we came up with. Bright red in color this beer begs you to think you are getting into some sort of fruit beer with lots of red raspberries or cherries and things like that, but don't let your eyes deceive you because this is a stout! Aromas of roasted coffee and chocolate hit the nose for the first deception which is followed by a full bodied and rich tasting stout qualities. As the bigger version of our pale stout we figured why not make it "Blood" red just for one more layer of how and why to add to this family of beers. Have fun figuring this one out...10.5% ABV, 24.4 IBU.
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 13 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
smanson56 from New Hampshire

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

Received this in a trade from a friend in MI. This does pour a red color not sure I would say blood red but it is red. The nose goes well towards it stout name, chocolate, coffee and nicely roasted malts. The taste follows the nose with some nice hints of chocolate and coffee coming through. The mouth feel is smooth but not the blood thick I was hoping for in this beer. I enjoyed this beer and would like to enjoy another if I had the chance perhaps to let it warm a little more than I did.

Mar 07, 2016