Dark Horse FigPA Fig IPA | Dark Horse Brewing Company

3.46/5
Alströms:

Reviews by jale:
3.46/5  rDev 0%

Had on tap at Crunchy's in East Lansing.

A: Pours a cloudy amber with a finger of off-white head.

S: Piney hop aroma.

T: Light fig and stronger piney hop flavor. A little eartiness. Lots of piney hop bitterness in the finish.

M: Loght body with good carbonation.

O: A decent IPA.

3.45/5  rDev 0%

On tap at the Michigan Brewer's Guild Summer Festival 2011. Tasted along side some other crazy takes on the same base IPA.

Appearance
These IPAs were all just about the same looking. Pale, hazy and yellow-orange. A white head crowns them. Despite having crazy fruits added the color is hardly effected.

Aroma
Lots of pine and a stiff addition of Simcoe. I'm not sure what I expected by an IPA with fig, but it was probably something deeper and heavier. As far as I can tell the only aromas attributable to the fig are the musty, earthy smells.

Taste
Lots of pine and a dry, Simcoe cat piss flavor prevails. Things are muddled up by the figs. They bring things down to a sweet, musty earthiness. No familiar fig flavors are here. I thought I might find some notes that faintly taste like a quad, but they weren't there.

Mouthfeel
This beer was very dry, was were all of the other takes on this IPA. The body remained pretty light and helped this beer go down easily.

Overall
Not what I was expecting, even though I wasn't sure exactly what, in fact, I did expect. It really just smelled and tasted muddled and dragged down. It does have the benefit of a really good base beer, which I conjecture is Smells Like Weed IPA, but I can't be certain.

Dark Horse FigPA Fig IPA from Dark Horse Brewing Company