Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Tripel | Maumee Bay Brewing Company

oh-maumeebaybrewingco.com

Style: Tripel

Added by Ellbert on 04-23-2005

3.9/5  rDev 0%

Served in a pint glass, displaying a clear yellow brew with some darker hints. No head, but then again, Maumee Bay usually doesn't pour with lots of head. Aroma was full of bananas and alcohol. Taste was crisp fruit, especially bananas, along with a balance of faint citrous and some spice. Then all of a sudden, you are treated to an alcoholic slap in the face. Burning alcohol takes over, reminding you that this brew is meant to be sipped and not gulped. This was the first tripel that I had tried, so I wanted to try a few more before I reviewed this one so I could have some other examples of the style. Overall, a good beer to enjoy slowly, but the alcohol was a little more than I expected based on other Maumee Bay beers.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: A reddish color with a light tan head. The head didn't last long. The serving they gave me was in a pint glass filled to the top so there wasn't much room for head.

Smell: Sweet, spicy, and fruity. I could smell some fruits in there and a little spice. It was mighty nice.

Taste: Very sweet at first. The flavor then moved to the spices and sat there for a bit. The alcohol gave a very distinct warming in the throat.

A nice beer but very high in alcohol especially for the pint glass serving they give you.

Tripel from Maumee Bay Brewing Company