Grand Ridge SarsBEERilla Stout | Grand Ridge Brewing Co.

Liked This Beer

3.66/5
Alströms:

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

3.82/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a dark-brown colour, slight red tinge to it. Foamy beige head with a decent ability to stick around and enjoy the party. Bit pale for a stout, but looks good for a beer.

Nutty malt upfront on the nose, with a bit of dry spice. Anise, pepper and slightly mediciney. I guess it's sarsparilla-y, although I'm not very familiar with it otherwise. Pretty decent.

Again that nutty malt starts off the palate before descending into big spice territory. Star anise and licorice, really gets a kind of black jellybean flavour. Rooty, earthy and spicy. Can't say I love it, but I'm impressed in it delivering what it promises. Quite mellow, too.

Decent body with slight tingle from the carbonation.

Yeah, not really my cup of sars, but a decent drop certainly.

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours ruby-tinted dark brown with a large, lasting head.
Sweet sarsaparilla is at the forefront of the aroma, pretty much dominating. There's some soft roasted malt just noticeable underneath.
Lots of sarsaparilla as a flavour too, although the roasted malt is a little more noticeable here, followed by a herbal bitterness. Somewhat cloying.
Body feels watery.
Too bad the sarsaparilla is so overpowering, I imagine this could work quite well if it was more subtle, or if the base beer was richer.

4.04/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on-tap at the GABS festival in Melbourne. Being a fan of root beer and sarsaparilla, I was intrigued to try this.

Pours a relatively light brown colour with surprising clarity. Body is light, but the head is firm, forming a ring of off-white that leaves patchy lace. Overall, not bad.

Forms a very weird mixture on the nose that feels slightly plasticky. Root beer, sassafras, wintergreen with a grainy malt character that makes the beer feel quite savoury. It's utterly unique and very nicely done.

Light grain on the front palate leaving quite en opening for the spicy sassafras to come through, along with a minty mouthwash and toothpaste character. Finish is round and dark, with a smooth vanilla hint to seal it off.

The only downside is that the weight is very low at 4% ABV, meaning it feels very thin. Still, it helped with the drinkability. I found myself drinking it without thinking.

I'm totally the target audience for this beer, so I'm well aware that others may not share my enthusiasm, but I just loved it.

Next time, Grand Ridge, do an imperial version.

Grand Ridge SarsBEERilla Stout from Grand Ridge Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 0 out of 100 with 5 ratings