Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Grand Ridge Hoppy Frog | Grand Ridge Brewing Co.

3.68/5

Style: American IPA

Added by danieelol on 12-10-2012

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Hazy golden colour with a small white head. Poor head retention.

Very sweet on the nose with a combination of British malt and almost sweaty hops. The hops chosen don't really work for me as they get very muddled here.

Sweet and bitter. It is relatively light but it still strikes me as underattenuated and sweet. The bitterness is harsh and the hop character is a strange combination of earth, sweat and tropical fruits. Odd.

Medium-light body with moderately-high carbonation.

I had hoped that this would be an American style IPA with a French yeast. However, the English IPA with French hops has resulted in a beer that doesn't really work. There are some IPAs using European hops that work well but this strikes me as a little off between the sweet malt, sweaty hops and harsh bitterness.

3.9/5  rDev +6%

So the premise of this is that it is a "Franco-English IPA", as it is made with British malt and French hops (including a new one called Triskel, I believe).

Pours a nice clear golden with good head/lacing.

Okay, I'll start by saying this exhibits a lot of Grand Ridge house-character. Reminds me of their...Gippsland Gold I believe?

Interesting hop/malt flavours. Malt is toasty, earthy, honeycomb.

Bit of sour yoghurt- Hops have mango, apple and stewed peach.

Very dry and crisp beer.

Moderate body and unobtrusive carbonation.

Grand Ridge Hoppy Frog from Grand Ridge Brewing Co.