Cuvée 2000

4.55 | pDev: 0%
From:
Brasserie Lefèbvre SA

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
View: Beers
TheLongBeachBum from California

4.55/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Well bless my little furry cotton socks. I’ll go to the foot of our Stairs. Imagine my surprise when I discovered this as I was stashing away some 2003 Stone Imperial Stout last night in a half-full Box. What I thought was a Unibroue 10 is actually a long forgotten beer I picked up in Belgium this Easter.

One of those tall 750ml bottles that had a long slender neck with a Half in-Half Out Corks and a Steel Cap & Cage closure. Cuvée 2000 from Brasserie Lefèbvre was a special release, and one of those beers I just happened to stumble across this Easter in Belgium. I found this sample at the Côté Terroirs – Le Cave a Wallonia in Namur (see BeerFly).

The bottles label has a scene reminiscent of the view of the Queen Mary in Long Beach from my Apartment Balcony on July 4th. Exploding colorful fireworks fill the label. The increasingly common Bi-lingual label states that 12-31-01 is the “Drink by Date” – Ooops!
Did I buy a duff? – Thankfully Not, it seems!

It pours with a clear golden body that produced a large expansive white head. There are plenty of streamers at first. This is a good sign given its age.

Immediately when poured that familiar Belgium “pong” of a Golden Ale filled the air. Far from old, it had a refreshing character – just right for the first beer on a Friday night after work.

The taste starts with a musty hop character, like the stale air in a roof void it has a dusty musky tingle. My heart dropped a beat. But thankfully this is soon blown away by large waves of strong pilsner-like Malts, a dark fruity middle and a touch of astringency. Towards the end a spicy hop character breaks out. Surprisingly refreshing.

A solid mouthfeel, this will never let you down. For a 6.5% Strong-ish Blond Pale Ale – it has a very impressive body.

The strength of 6 and a half clicks, lends massive Drinkability to this offering. My oh my, it’s always sad when you only have one bottle of a beer that you really enjoy – still at least it was a 750ml!

When I bought this 6 months ago, it was probably 3½ years old. I feared that it would be “past-its-prime” at Easter. But this really has stood the test of time, & has probably improved during the last few years, which is not bad for only a 6.5% beer. Very Nice!

The last drop was savored; because I fear I will not see this one again. Wait though, let me just go check my Beer Cupboard…..

Oct 11, 2003