Double Soleilmont

3.5 | pDev: 0%
From:
Brasserie Lefèbvre SA

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes:
View: Beers
TheLongBeachBum from California

3.5/5  rDev 0%

Presentation: This year’s annual Wakefield CAMRA trip was based in Charleroi, not the most picturesque of Belgium conurbations but nonetheless it offered a few good bars and one notable one, Templiers, which is high up in the Old Upper Town. At the time we were last here the Easter Feast was in full swing and we spent our last night in here. I spied ‘Double Soleilmont’ from the bottled beer list and found no mention of it in Tim Webb’s latest (4th Ed.) Good Beer Guide to Belgium and Holland. It arrived in a 25cl bottle, with a rather fancy looking label that was befitting given the Knights Templar décor in the Templiers. A dark green background rectangular label has an aged parchment on it with the words ‘Double Soleilmont’ in a red scribed text font. Below this in the middle of the label a Coat of Arms split into 4 quadrants is flanked either side by the words “Artisanale Beer - Bottle Conditioned”, but in German to the left and French to the right. Small print at the base of the label states that this is from “Embouteille pour La Brasserie de Soleilmont – 6060 Gilly”. The Waiter told us, and further research confirmed this, that is brewed by Brasserie Lefèbvre, a brewer known for producing many contract brews and dare I say (allegedly so my mates tell me) re-badged beers.

Listed as Vol. Alc. 6.2%, Biere Cat .S., but no freshness date “nicks” were discernable on the side of the label. The bottle looked ‘aged’, or worn at least.

Appearance: Wow, long introduction for a beer that was average in the glass once poured. A darkish amber body that seemed clear at first but thanks to bottle-conditioning it finished with a hazy dark peach look. Off-white head that was supported by average carbonation.

Nose: Malty odors with caramel and toffee, restrained and a tad spicy as it warms to room temperature.

Taste: A malty brew, Dubbel-like in its overall character but delicately so. A caramel character fills the front third; the middle has a toffee covered biscuit body whilst the backend has a chocolate vanilla bean twist. I got some spice again in the swallow, like I did in the nose earlier.

Mouthfeel: Chewy body; yet it has an average mouth that has a slick caramel essence. Toffee flavored skimmed milk feel.

Drinkability: Not bad at all, but nothing special and certainly not one that I would have ordered a second bottle of, the chewy malty toffee feel was a little too overpowering for the long haul.

Overall: Pretty average but unusual offering from Brasserie Lefèbvre, one of many that they brew under contract that I may, or not, see again. Funny thing is I’m sure I have had this one before, maybe my aged mind is playing tricks on me or I had it with a different label last time!!?! ;-))

Sep 30, 2004