Scraps | Birdsview Brewing Company

Birdsview Brewing Company
Washington, United States
birdsviewbrewingcompany.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Todd on 11-14-2006

Liked:
3.37/5
Alströms:

4.3/5  rDev 0%

I thought it was DELICIOUS! It was smooth and nutty, with a wonderful dark amber color. Not much head, but just right. I got a growler, but it's must be drunk within the next day or two or it goes south fast. Definitely recommend it to anyone who likes reds/ambers/browns and is up in the beautiful PNW!

2.44/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The original recipe for this amber ale was born of some frugal homebrewing. Every home brewer reaches a point where he inventories his stock and says, “Hmm… what can I brew with this?” For Birdsview’s owner/brewer, the answer was Scraps.

My first taste of Scraps caused me to wonder if I hadn’t been served a pint of the house witbier. Though its color was burnt-orange amber, Scraps’ puzzling spiciness made the comparison to an adjunct-infused witbier a compelling possibility, and I had to sample the wit to make sure the two tap lines weren’t crossed. They weren’t, and their only immediate commonality was the use of wheat. But Scraps’ hodgepodge recipe causes it to lack a distinct identity and its comparison to most amber ales is difficult to assert. The smell was “witty” and possessed a raw graininess that is likely derived from overly milled grist. The taste is also stuck in the mash and took me awhile to adjust to. Not a bad beer per se, but its lack of definition equates with a lack of appreciation.

Scraps from Birdsview Brewing Company