High Roller

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
High RollerHigh Roller
Notes:
Reviews: 33 | Ratings: 174 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
hman43 from North Carolina

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look: It pours hazy amber with some orange tinges. It has a fluffy full white head.

Smell: It has aromas of orange with some citrus. There is a bit of caramel in the background with very low pine.

Taste: The orange and citrus and fairly balance with the caramel being fairly prominent in the background for support. There are very low levels of pine and the bitterness is fairly moderate.

Feel: It has a medium body with medium low bitterness to the finish.

Overall, not very strong with flavors, but they do work well together.

Aug 04, 2019
NateDyk47 from Michigan

3.54/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a pint of this at Big Boss Brewery's taproom.

Look: amber golden color with a little white head and a tiny bit of lacing
Smell: mostly grapefruit, a hint of other citrus as well
Taste: grapefruit, roasted malt, faint orange note
Feel: medium body & carbonation

Overall: average IPA. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't anything special.

Feb 14, 2016
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

My buddy, Ian (no last names), was living in Charleston, SC for a while before relocating back up to the Northeast, but he knows my affinity for CANs & IPAs and when he heads south, he loads up to keep me happy. Am I happy? Hoppy! Thanks, Ian!

From the bottle: "Let It Ride, Baby! Cash Out! [check one box]".

I love the label with its horseshoe and pair of rolling dice! I am not generally a gambler and I really eschew cards since I have a literary, non-math mind and could never keep up with the poker sharpies. That said, I bought a used book from the library on Craps and when we were in King of Prussia for training, three of us went down and had a whirl at the table. Donna was really good at it and won us each ~ $80., but when it was my turn to throw the dice, I won a buncha people a load of moolah! I would absolutely play Craps again.

Once I Pop!ped the cap off, I decided to let it roll and press my luck. I got two-plus fingers of foamy, rocky, tawny head with great retention for my efforts. I watched with fascination as it slowly fell, leaving great lacing in its wake. Color was Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a minty-pine scent underlain by a deep caramel sweetness. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was really minty and clean! I felt like I had been drinking mouthwash, but in a great way. This was really tasty. Finish was minty, cool, dry, literally breath-taking for the second time today. Many thanks for this hookup!

Dec 20, 2015
FrothFanatic from South Carolina

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Not the best IPA I've had but its worth a look. It has exceptional lacing retention, and a nice thick head. It pours a nice caramelized golden color, doesn't have a creamy mouth feel but its not too light either, its just right. For all of you hopheads this is your beer, its really bitter really strong, in my opinion over powering.

May 31, 2015
GarthDanielson from Virginia

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured ontap in a shaker, the beer is a slightly pale, caramel gold coloring with a low, clingy, white head. Aromas of resinous hops, solid caramel malty backbone, and subtle citrus highlights. Flavors are pine and grapefruit forward, with a solid caramel backbone. Toasted highlights throughout. The beer is midbodied, with a pepper spice and resinous hops aftertaste. Dry, bitter linger finish. Very solid beer.

Apr 19, 2015
Brenden from Ohio

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

This one is dusky amber-orange and thick in the body, a darker and what's become more the norm for the style. The head is just a shade or two from white, a foamy half-finger that holds up well and leaves good lacing in its wake.
The aroma and flavor are good, and this is a solid IPA that just needs more punch. Grapefruit with some orange rind zest balances caramel malts, with a bit more juicy hops in the taste along with light resinous bitterness.
The mouthfeel is fluffy and pretty creamy in the medium body, and that without sacrificing crispness, but a graininess that builds up keeps it from being as clean as it could be.

Sep 03, 2014
BucannonXC5 from California

3.78/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Boulevard Ales pint glass
From: Trader Joe’s in Ballantyne (Charlotte), N.C.
Price: $1.67 (I think)
Purchased: July 26, 2014
Consumed: July 26, 2014
Misc.: N/A

Poured a dark caramel, murky color with three fingers of khaki white head. Lots of layered foamy lacing along the sides of the glass. Great retention on the top all the way down.

Smelled earthy rye malts, caramel, toffee, lemon, citrus, tangerine and some unknown spices.

Tasted earthy rye hops, caramel, orange rind, lemon, citrus and slight dried apricot.

Medium body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Long finish.

A pretty good earthy imperial IPA. A couple of my ratings probably could have been a bit higher.

Aug 09, 2014
MacQ32 from South Carolina

3.69/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours an orange copper color with a finger of light tan/orangish tinted head, fantastic lacing, ok retention.

S - Decent bit of sweet caramel malts, ripe resinous grapefruit, lemon and orange.

T - Hoppy and citrusy but not overly bitter, not resinous. Nice thick malty backbone balances this out well. Really nice mix of maltyness and bitter hops.

M - medium bodied, especially for an ipa. Thick and super smooth. Moderate carbonation, interesting mouthfeel.

O - Pretty enjoyable, not what im looking for in an IPA with the maltyness and thick creamy mouthfeel but solid if I didnt have style expectations.

Jan 03, 2014
codysjb from Florida

2.7/5  rDev -25%

From a bottle into a pint
A: Orange yellow with a tiny head. Dissipates almost instantly. OK lacing.
S: Lemon, straw, not really any detectable hops.
T: Some mild malt, a little bit of straw... not much.
M: Kinda bland and watered down, lots of carbonation.
O: Not great, just kinda a bland craft beer.

Aug 24, 2013
TrappistJohnMD from Mississippi

3.11/5  rDev -13.6%

Served at the Old Edwards Inn in Highlands, N.C.

Amber color with white head that lingers pretty well.

Smell is very muted. Some citrus but mostly just bready malt.

Taste is mostly malt. Some musty citrus like grapefruit. Moderate bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with good carbonation.

Overall this was average. Wouldn't seek out again.

May 25, 2013
alpinebryant from Connecticut

2.96/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: Moderate white head and a slightly hazy amber copper color

S: Aroma is bitter and of mostly caramel with some citrus.

T: This does have the signature garlic flavor that some hops have as noted by another reviewer here. I forget the blend, but Simcoe comes to mind when it mixes with another hop? The garlic is light while the caramel is pronounced and bitter.

M: Medium body with a stinging carbonation.

O: Overall, not particularly impressed. Its just not the way I like my IPAs right now at this point in my life. Lots of caramel and a not so fragrant hop profile. There is some citrus, but it is muted and overcome way too easily by the malt profiles in this beer.

Feb 15, 2013
dpodratsky3 from Georgia

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Very little head even when poured aggressively, just a few bubbles, hazy golden orange color

S: Interesting, smells like hops but has that slight cooked onion/garlic aroma that some hops can add

T: One dimensional hop flavor, I made a beer that had a similar off flavor although this is much less intense, short bite without much flavor, decent backbone of malt is appreciated but not really detected in flavor, off flavor isn't obvious but just strikes me a certain way

M: Medium dry, medium carb, light body makes it easy to drink

O: Meh, maybe I'm sensitive to that type of hop, but I wasn't crazy about the flavor and the other categories couldn't bring it up

Jan 29, 2013
KajII from North Carolina

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

[Suggested Glassware: Tulip Glass]

The pour was a murky burnt orange with an average (1-2 finger) white frothy head that slowly diminished, reducing to a medium puddled film and medium collar with very good sheets of lacing.

The aroma was of a grain malt, floral and grassy hops and a soapy yeast with notes of caramel, citrus (grapefruit and orange peel) and a light fruity ester (pineapple I believe).

The taste was lightly malty-sweet with a touch of caramel and a good fruity presence from the start, progressing into a slightly bitter hoppy taste with a hint of grapefruit and a seriously bitter citrus peel ending. The flavor lingered on the taste buds for a good long while, with the bitter citrus peel taste hitting you right in the back of the throat.

Mouthfeel was a few steps beyond light in body and dry in texture with a solid medium carbonation.

Overall this is a nice fruity, bitter IPA that I found to be balanced very well, making it a smooth and easy to drink brew...

Dec 29, 2012
nimrod979 from Maryland

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

Bottle. No bottled on date marked.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy orangish-coper. One finger white head with some decent retention and some spotty lacing here and there.

Aroma: Earthy mild floral hops. Reminds me of an English style rather than American. toasty grainy malt.

Taste: Taste backs up the aroma. Definitely feels more like an English IPA. Plenty of dry biscuity malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation. Lingering grainy and maltiness. Not much as far as bitterness in the finish.

Overall, wasn't entirely impressed with this. it was okay.

Dec 16, 2012
brewdude1982 from North Carolina

2.83/5  rDev -21.4%

Good carbonation but then again I had it a a place 2 miles from the brewery. Odd taste and not very hoppy. As far as an ipa I NEED more. Medium body. It's ok but I would pick another ipa if more were available. The lacing is better than others but not amazing. I want more hops from a beer that calls itself the high roller. I hear that others from them are better but I have yet to taste one that I can back... And I live in the city it is brewed in.

Dec 05, 2012
Knapp85 from Pennsylvania

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured out as a clear looking golden color, The head was white and had a pretty good retention and lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer has some light hoppy aromas but nothing too dominant. The malts come through more on the nose. The taste of the beer is malty upfront with a decent transition to the bitter finish. The hops do leave behind a nice subtle lingering flavor in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is drinkable, nicely carbonated and medium bodied. Overall it's a pretty standard IPA, I've had better and I've had worse.

Sep 06, 2012
5thOhio from South Carolina

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours a deep brownish copper color with an off-white creamy half inch head that dissipates to a thin yet creamy film on the top. Good delicate lacing.

Forgot to check the aroma until too late. All I could get were light hops and a fresh fruit nose. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation.

Taste is rich hops, pine with light citrus follow up. Some malt in the background. I'd love to try this on tap.

Aug 30, 2012
daliandragon from Maryland

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Back in the day these guys were called the Edenton Brewery and they made good beer, especially IPAs and pale ales. Then, about five years ago they closed up shop for a year plus and returned as Big Boss. This is the first IPA from Big Boss that's been put in a bottle.

Murky medium brown with a thin cap of head and minute lace. Nose is salty, spicy citrus hops and a touch of underlying malt.

This is full of flavor, particularly of the pine and grapefruit variety. Some malt earthiness and bread but the hops are in charge. Light alcohol tinge at the finish, but it's actually pleasant. Tight, oily texture that really helps draw out the aftertaste, which is a nice touch.

This one has grown on me and I expect it to be among my most commonly chosen local IPAs over the next few years, along with Aviator HogWild.

Aug 15, 2012
wedge from North Carolina

3.46/5  rDev -3.9%

I've had this many times, but this is my first bottle experience...

Orange colored liquid with some suspended sediment with a tight bubbled, nice looking head. Mild grass and citrus peel aroma blends with a little caramel sweetness. Oily hops, bitter pine sap, grapefruit rind, and some malt. Nicely bitter and medium bodied.

Much better on tap; I had one last night and it was fruitier and more aromatic. I don't know how old the bottle is (there are dates on the label, but nothing is notched), but that might be a factor. Still, not bad at all and I'll likely revisit this in the bottle sooner or later.

Jul 29, 2012
SteveMi from North Carolina

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Originally tried this during a craft beer festival. Reviewing based on 12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Golden orange in color with a good, long lasting white head.

S - Malty sweet smell with citrus (orange and grapefruit maybe?) pushing through.

T - Hoppy and citrusy as one would expect from the smell. It's hard for me to put my finger on it but it is balanced differently than many of the other IPA's I've tried.

M - Slightly lighter feel than the average IPA. Maybe it's the extra citrus but I feel like it's a little drier as well.

O - A fine choice for an IPA. By taste I would have thought this to be a lower ABV beer. Good in bottle, good at the festival and I can only assume it's better on tap. No complaints.

Jul 06, 2012
Brushkanna from New Jersey

4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

The beer is a nice mahogany brown, a bit darker than many IPAs, and pours with a nice full head

A good nutty malty smell

Not a hop heavy IPA, I enjoy the darker malty flavors, Northwest hops with pale and caramel malts give it a nice spicy taste it is a somewhat different IPA

Feels good going down

I really like this beer and the company has great labels. After having it at a restaurant I bought a six pack the next day.

Jun 22, 2012
oline73 from Maryland

3.49/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a slightly cloudy amber color with close to a finger of fluffy white head. There is some good retention and very nice lacing.

Smell: Very mild overall. There is a hint of malt with some citrus peel hops.

Taste: A nice balance of malt and hops. A touch of sweetness with some citrus peel hop bitterness. I'm also getting some sweet citrus fruit, maybe apricot.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with light and fluffy carbonation and a slightly dry finish.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer, the balance and the contrast between the bitterness and the sweet citrus notes were very nice. I would have another.

May 22, 2012
HuskyinPDX from Washington

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

12oz bottle opened on 5.8.12.

A - Pours a golden, clear orange with a one finger yellowish head that slowly fades.

S - Very malty, carmel and sweet.

T - Sweet malts and carmel with a hoppy orange finish.

D - Good carbonation and a lighter body.

O - Sweet and oranges and carmel. A bit on the sweet malty side for me. I like my hop bombs.

May 10, 2012
oberon from North Carolina

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Nice to get this beer now in Greensboro.Poured into a nonic a hazed burnt orange with a great one finger tightly formed head that left a broken ring of lace as it settled slowly.A nice mix of grapefruit hop notes and caramel malt in the nose,the hops win out but the malts make for good complexity.Not very bitter on the palate but you do have some sharpness from the grapefruit rind-like hops that are balanced with a bit of tangerine-like hop and slight resiny flavors ,a sweetish caramel base holds up well.A very well made local ipa in my mind,true to hoppy form but with a bit of a change up.

Apr 20, 2012
cwoods from North Carolina

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

S- Bottle into pint glass

A- Orange haze that screams drink me.

S- Hops, malt, citrus, pine and something else that I cant put my nose on right now.

T- The beer has a nice hoppy bite, pleasant citrus tang, pine tart, carmel malty, sweet.

O- I really love this beer. Its even better when its really fresh on tap at the Big Boss Brewery. Its actually my favorite IPA from a Raleigh, NC brewery. Im stocked its now bottle and available year round. Its a must for any IPA lover.

Apr 16, 2012