In The Mood Porter | Big Boss Brewing

3.93/5
Alströms:

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.45/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours dark brown, but putting it up to the light will reveal deep ruby highlights. A full 1-finger head that lasts for a while before remaining as a thin layer, leaving some spotty lacing behind. Chocolate malt, very subtle hints of fresh ground espresso beans. Taste is similar. Delicious roastiness. Espresso comes out more in the taste. Chocolate is still there. Other great porters have the same great roasted malt profile, but the kicker here - a perfect semi-bitter, clean hop finish. You get some lingering hop flavors that work perfectly with the bold roasted malt after it goes down. Essentially a perfect level of carbonation. Starts creamy, but the bitterness cuts the creaminess a bit. I am debating a 5 on mouthfeel. I sessioned on a full growler myself, so nothing cloying here. One of my favorite porters.

I saw the comment below about the vanilla cask version of this at WBF, and I have to add my differing opinion - this one is much better.

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

64oz growler into a Duvel tulip pours a nearly opaque black with a decent khaki head that lasts as a thin layer and leaves decent lacing on the glass. Aroma is a bit of brown malts, cocoa and a touch of fresh ground coffee. Taste is brown malt and slightly bitter cocoa with a hint of hops. The beer is on the light side of medium with decent carbonation. This one is fairly enjoyable, but the cask they had of it at the World Beer Fest with vanilla was much better, I have to suggest they add vanilla to this beer regularly.

In The Mood Porter from Big Boss Brewing