Challenge Series #11 Double Brut IPA
Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Challenge Series #11 Double Brut IPAChallenge Series #11 Double Brut IPA
Score:
Needs more ratings
3.93 | pDev: 5.6%
From:
Bear Republic Brewing Co.

Avail:
Challenge Series #11 Double Brut IPAChallenge Series #11 Double Brut IPA
Notes:
View: Beers
3.99/5  rDev +1.5%

Has a nice, hazy golden sunshine color with a foamy white head, the requisite citrus aromas (though not as bright as most Citra/Galaxy-hopped IPA’s), and a nice balanced hop flavor with a subtle malt component that drinks a lot easier than an 8% ABV beer.

What I did not detect was the dry finish expected for the style, something I’ve noticed about myself in the Brut-style IPA’s I’ve tried. Must be operator error, but this is more in line with a West Coast-style IPA.

Still a pleasure to drink, and I’m very glad Bear Republic has distro in my area, because I’ve been a fan for the better part of a decade.

3.49/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Had this the other day out at pops house before I left for vacation. Overall, wasn't super impressed by it. Pours a slightly hazy yellow with 1/3" white head on the top. Aroma like many brut beers, wasn't all that strong. Citra and Galaxy usually drop a shit ton of orange and pineapple, but here it was kinda feint and restrained. Just a lighter vibe there than expected.

Taste was fine, wasn't as dry of a mouth feel as a brut should be, the taste didn't drop as much hoppiness as should be. It did hide the alcohol pretty well. I dunno, no off flavors, but I'm just underwhelmed. Felt like they went more for an NE IPA just as much if not more than a Brut. Just lands somewhere between dry and juicy, but there isn't anything flaked going on wheat or oat wise. Shoulder shrug.

Bear Republic is trying to update a more traditional selection of offerings, getting into the hazy, the brut and the proprietary hop game. Still remains to be seen if they can ascend to their previous great heights like they did in the 90s with Racer 5 and Hop Rod.

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours an unfiltered yellow with two fingers of head that has great retention

Nose is melon, honeysuckle

Taste is lemony citrus, kind of bready, an bit of peppery spice on the finish

Not nearly as dry as I'd expect from a Brut, almost more of a classic WC IPA finish. Drinks alot easier than you'd expect for 8% ABV....alcohol well hidden, moderate carbonation, not oily

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

No canning date, but has a best-by date of either 5/21/19 or 6/21/19, I can't really tell.
L: Hazy straw yellow, nice unfiltered appearance. About a finger of a frothy white cap that settled quickly, leaving generous amounts of lacing on the glass.
S: Bright citrus and a florally background, up against a bready malt aroma. Smells nice.
T: Malt bready flavor sets the foundation and present throughout, with a crisp citrus finish. It is slightly dry at the finish, but not as you'd expect from a 'brut' IPA. Aftertaste is straight citrus with a flavor that reminds me a lot of coconut.
F: Medium in body and in weight, with moderate carbonation for the style. Booze concealed well.
O: An enjoyable offering. Can't say I've had many brut IPAs, but this is decent. I am glad to try. Cheers!

4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

Look: Light straw-yellow unfiltered body (though not murky); large head formation made of up of large and small bubble, average retention and great left-over lacing.

Smell: Quite aromatic (I suppose it is expected in this style) with lots of lemongrass, a hint of citrus, and a bit of malt.

Taste: Follows the nose with notes reminiscent of lemongrass and orange peel; bitter but not overly so.

Feel: Pretty light body for an 8% IPA, which fits the style; medium carbonation, and in my opinion could use a little more; alcohol is well-hidden.

Overall: Challenge 11 hits the Brut IPA marks pretty well, though not outstandingly. It also goes down dangerously quickly; this might be the most crushable 8% beer I've ever had. For a DIPA Brut, I'm pretty happy the beer in my glass.

Challenge Series #11 Double Brut IPA from Bear Republic Brewing Co.