Old Grand Dad Stout | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Style: American Stout

Added by oggg on 03-20-2004

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
3.82/5  rDev n/a

On cask. Apparently this their Black Seal Stout, aged an extra 2 weeks in Old Grand Dad oak barrels.

This beer came to me as a black brown nectar with a 1/2 inch creamy tan head. I sniffed it from a foot away and it gave me chocolate. The first thing I noticed on tasting was the velvet smoothness of it all. I should mention this was imperial pint #3 for the night, but I wrote everything down and had my buddy confirm my impressions. Ok, back to the beer. It was rich and chocolaty. Could it be all chocolate malt or real chocolate? I got minimal roasted character. It was like milk chocolate. With a minimal hop bitterness to keep it from being sweet. Light to medium body. Thicker than Guinness but thinner than most stouts. It actually seemed to have a sour edge reminiscent of Guinness. Lactose? I really don't know. This is a fine quaffing stout. It was a great way to end the night.

Old Grand Dad Stout from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery