Al's Sweet Stout | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States
rockbottom.com

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by fantome on 05-15-2004

4.04/5  rDev 0%

I'd had a pint at the pub previously, but consider this now from a growler filled earlier this afternoon.
Appearance: deep, dark, thorugh blackness, sludgy even, not a glint of lint gets through, but, alas, little carbonation arises...
Aroma, ah! Sweetness, depth, and rich character, all unfold in one sniff, more than I'd expect from a sweet stout (and more than I remember from my pint at the pub a few weeks ago), seriously studded with earthy delights, molasses, dark rum, anise and treacle, like a wicked liquid licorice whip, but none too stunning in the strength.
Taste: very mild, sweet, mellow, pleasant, that rich flavor returns, but without an overbearing body, nor too much to bedevil the tongue, just smooth riding all the way down, the way a sweet stout ought to be. Funny, that's not usual a style that I favor, going more for Oatmeals, or in some moods, Imperials. This is ideal for non-confrontational drinkin', though. You know, the type most folks turn to light lagers, amber ales, or ESBs for, and it's great to find that in a stout as well.
I would turn to this often at the pub, personally, unless something more tempting were around.

Al's Sweet Stout from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery