Cerveza Especial With Guajillo (Chili Pepper) | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Awaiting More Ratings

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States
rockbottom.com

Style: Chile Beer

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BuckeyeNation on 09-29-2004

3.85/5  rDev 0%

Medium orange-bronze with a pale caramel head that started small and faded to a thick film, leaving an extended collar of lace with no breaks except on the path to my mouth. The aroma was bright and bracing, with notes of citrus fruit and chili spice that reminded me faintly of mescal. A bit too shy though.

This was a beer that came at me in stages. Friendly citrusy start; slightly sour, neutral middle; spicy, moderately hot finish. I also appreciated bitter powdered lime zest which provided a tangy snap, giving the beer a 'south of the border' feel which was accentuated by a sudden, although still manageable, chili pepper flavor and feel (i.e. burn).

The sizzle was pretty tame for anyone used to eating hot-spicy foods and was nowhere close to palate numbing or fatiguing. I could feel the heat throughout my mouth and even up into my nasopharynx. With a little more chili pepper, CE with G would make a fantastic decongestant.

The medium mouthfeel thinned a little on the finish, but held its structure throughout. There was near perfect carbonation, thanks for the most part to cask-conditioning.

This was a fun beer to drink. The mild mucous membrane burn was cooled by the next mouthful and then reappeared after the swallow. Rinse and repeat. A pretty tasty limited offering from my local Rock Bottom, Cerveza Especial with Guajillo kicks the crap out of any Mexican beer you'd care to name.

Cerveza Especial With Guajillo (Chili Pepper) from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery