Kick'n Chick'n Oatmeal Stout, Bourbon Barrel Aged | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

4.17/5

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States
rockbottom.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by UncleJimbo on 10-12-2004

3.77/5  rDev 0%

This was listed in the 'stash' section of the Rock Bottom beer list, and I was immediately intrigued. The bartender was reluctant to sell me a pint, as she had had bad experiences with customers changing their minds after having tried a sip or two. Lucky for me, the free 5 oz. taster only made me more excited to try this.

A ten-ounce pour that was deep garnet with a creamy off-white head that lingered well. The bouquet and flavor both are strong on bourbon (the eponymous 'kick'n chick'n' is Wild Turkey). I suspect that without the bourbon aging this would be a traditional sweet or oatmeal stou, and the creaminess of the stout balances the whiskey flavors well, imparting a distinct butteriness to the entire brew.

The smooth mouthfeel, of course, is deceptive: this is a serious brew that is meant to be sipped and appreciated for the startling complexity of its flavors. A wonderful beer.

4.57/5  rDev 0%

Sampled on tap at the Rock Bottom, Downtown Denver, CO. This batch was aged 5 months in Wild Turkey Bourbon barrels.

This stout poured a very dark brown/black color with brown foam that coated the glass. The smell was wonderful: strong bourbon aroma with some vanilla notes and hints of malt. The taste was dominated by bourbon with some vanilla and roasted malt, with notes of cocoa and chocolate, and with a touch of alcohol. The mouthfeel was smooth as silk and overall warming. The body was medium-full with moderate carbonation. The whiskey flavor lingered nicely. This was a most excellent stout, and I could not get enough of it. I think this was brewed especially to GABF week, but I hope I see it again someday.

Kick'n Chick'n Oatmeal Stout, Bourbon Barrel Aged from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery