Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cascade Pale Ale (Dry Hopped) | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

4.3/5
Outstanding
1 Rating

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States
rockbottom.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by BuckeyeNation on 12-02-2004

4.3/5  rDev 0%

"The room was humming harder
As the ceiling flew away,
When we called out for another drink
The waiter brought a tray.

And so it was that later
As the miller told his tale,
That her face, at first just ghostly
Turned a whiter shade of pale"

--'A Whiter Shade of Pale' by Procol Harum

I'm not sure why this beer reminded me of that classic song, but it was running through my head the whole way home. Perhaps because this wonderful APA is a 'lighter pale' ale. It's also a damn good one.

Hugely murky, muddy lemon yellow; a strangely appealing hue. The cap of foam was pastel lemon-ivory in color and, though it began life as a half finger disk, it held that exact thickness until I swallowed it with the last of the beer. A thick sheet of lace was visible on the far side of the glass and will, no doubt, only be vanquished by hot water and a dishtowel.

The nose was pure, mountain air fresh, lemony Cascade hops that I wish had been a mite stronger. Since it was dry-hopped, I don't believe that that's an unreasonable request. It's tough to beat pure Cascade in a well-brewed, single-hopped APA; at least for those of us who haven't become jaded, and hope never to be, by that particular hop.

The flavor was brightly delicious and was chock full of bittersweet lemon and grapefruit zest (more sweet than bitter and more lemon than grapefruit). It was exceptionally clean and fresh and was pure pleasure from the moment the beer hit the taste buds to the somewhat short, modestly bitter finish. The light body still managed to provide a modicum of mouthcoating and the laid back carbonation was a near perfect compliment to the flavor profile.

Cascade Pale Ale is my second favorite beer of all-time at my local Rock Bottom. In the hands of a talented brewer, single-hopped APAs are pure liquid poetry to me and are some of the most drinkable beers around. If this one was brewed on a regular basis, my wife would always know where to find me if my side of the garage was empty.

Cascade Pale Ale (Dry Hopped) from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery