Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Fallen Angel Abbey Ale | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

rockbottom.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-19-2005

3.32/5  rDev -5.7%

Originally reviewed April 9, 2005. On tap at the Gitchee Gumee Brewfest 2005. A good wheat aroma coming off a burnt golden color, with nice white head. The flavor is a good bit deep, with some fruit, bread, and carmel tones. Finishes a little sour, which instills a little distinction of sophisticated rounding character. Interesting. Would be worth another try.

4.05/5  rDev +15.1%

1/2 gallon growler, filled this afternoon.
Fully hazed, bright burgundy color, smallish white head poured into this Belgian-style snifter.
Aroma, yeasty and slightly tart, with that uplifting effervescense and unearthly appeal that I'd demand from any successful attempt at this style. cherries, apples, some citrus, but fruits aplenty, and a tiny hit of spice, as well, and a musitness, too. Nicer.
A recurrence of the above in the flavor, bright, and ripe with flavor, very pleasant and pleasing to the tongue, but...not as full in body or impressive in texture as I'd prefer. Tasty, but insubstantial. Not to say I don't like it, I do, I just would like a bit more from it, than it can provide.
even at this strength, I can imagine downing my share of this handily. A smooth, approachable try at one of my favorite styles of beer.
Good job, todd!

3.72/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours to a brownish-peach color with just a ring of white for lacing. It has just a bit of spotty lacing and not much carbonation. Not the appearance I was expecting. The aroma is sweet and yeasty, belgian candi sugars and fruits. A bit of alcohol in the end of the aroma. The flavor is sweet and malty, fruity and yeasty. Medium bodied and easy drinking for its strength.

Fallen Angel Abbey Ale from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery