Blanche Des Moines | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Availability: Summer

Added by BuckeyeNation on 06-29-2005

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
3.37/5  rDev n/a

First, a rant. The server opened the tap over the pint glass, then left it to get an unasked for lemon wedge. I stopped him just before he added the fruit to the beer, the glass edge or wherever the hell he was going to put it. In the process of returning the lemon to its plastic bin, the beer overflowed the glass and several ounces were lost down the drain. He brought the filled-to-the-rim pint glass over to me with absolutely no head and practically threw it at me, sloshing an ounce or two onto the coaster and surrounding bar. I don't want to mark down the appearance too much, but this was the worst presentation of any beer, ever.

Turbid pastel gold with no head. I don't mean a thin, soapy film or a tiny rim, I mean *nothing*. The beer could not have looked more lifeless. I used to think that appearance didn't affect my enjoyment all that much. Not any more. I've been somewhat kind score-wise because a decent pour might have looked pretty good.

The nose was subdued and smelled of lemon citrus and unidentified spice. With no head, there was doubtless very little aerosolization of the beer and therefore little appreciable aroma. Again, a decent pour might have...

The chalkboard at the entrance informed those interested parties that this beer was brewed with malt (barley malt presumably), wheat and oats. Though I could never have guessed those ingredients, that malt bill made sense once I began drinking. Blanche was well-malted with a full, rounded softness that was due, I'm guessing, to the wheat and the oats.

The flavor was tangy-sweet and lemon-spicy. I should say lemon-herby since the coriander was much more noticeable than the unnamed spice(s). The lemon and coriander were like two strands of a thick rope, in that they were distinct entities, yet were tightly intertwined. Oily, sweet lemon lingered the longest.

The finish was lightly sticky and slightly mouthcoating, but still seemed dry and ultimately clean. On rereading, that description sounds contradictory. However, since that's what I experienced, it stands. The mouthfeel was slightly more full than medium and was quite enjoyable.

Blanche Des Moines (colloquially: White Beer from Des Moines; literally: White Beer from the monks) is a pretty good wit despite the half-assed presentation. I'd hate to think that my impression was impacted by the events described in the opening paragraph, but it could hardly have been otherwise. Perhaps I'll stop in for a second pint before the tank runs dry.

Blanche Des Moines from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.