Tarwe Bock | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Style: Weizenbock

Added by BuckeyeNation on 01-04-2006

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 2
4.03/5  rDev n/a

Oooo, my mug club glass was filled with an intriguing copper colored brew that was a bit cloudy and topped with a large finger of head. The aroma had a bit of citrus with prominent orange, although the orange slice on the rim might have influenced that. The body was perhaps a heavy medium. It has a nice wheatie taste with a touch of fruit. It's super smooth with no sharpness, and leaves light lacing as the glass empties. I'd definitely have this one again.

3.63/5  rDev n/a

Lightly misty tawny with highlights of cherry red and edges of amber. The beer itself was much more attractive than the head, such as it was. A small ecru disk arrived atop the pint and was soon nothing but a memory. There were no memories of lace since there wasn't any to begin with.

The nose was weak and was comprised of spiced grain and indeterminate fruit. If only it had been more powerful, I might have been able to tease out something more definite. Like music at low volume, there was very little distinctiveness, very little separation between the various components.

Although there was plenty going on where the taste buds were concerned, for some reason it didn't quite work for me, didn't quite hang together. That isn't to say that Tarwe Bock wasn't well-constructed beer, just that I didn't love the flavor. I've had excellent weizenbocks before (one, in particular, from this brewpub) so it isn't simply a matter of style preference.

If I had to describe the flavor in five words or fewer, it would be: bitter cinnamon wheat toast. I'd like to add 'with pears', but that would put me over the limit. The malt was of the heavily toasted, unsweet caramel variety. I don't know if any actual spices were added (doubtful), but cinnamon comes closest, even if it doesn't quite hit the mark. The beer was almost as herbal as it was spicy. I'm thinking that one or more German hops were used.

The fruitiness was subtle, with pear coming closest without quite capturing the exact flavor. Obviously, I had a little trouble pinning down my impressions. The finish was bitter, tending toward dry and crisp. It doesn't seem possible that a medium-bodied beer with a modestly slick finish could be clean. This one, though, while it wasn't spic-and-span, was rather tidy.

Tarwe (Dutch for wheat) Bock is a well-brewed beer even if it isn't really my thing. I much prefer the other Rock Bottom weizenbock that I had last year, White Hot Rockin' Bock. The fact that this one is so different is a testament to the rather loose guidelines of the style. It's worth a pint, although I doubt that I'll order it again.

Tarwe Bock from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.